View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 08:18 AM
a new hope
Fan Forum Legend

Oh can we please talk about how awesome it was that Yoda showed up in TLJ ? Good old Yoda, teasing Luke like he did in ESB.

Rian explains:
Quote:
“Yoda, I came to the realization pretty early, once I realized Luke’s arc, that Yoda would be able to play a great place in it. The reason he’s in it, though, is because he has a relationship with Luke going back, and he can speak truth to power. He can come in and set Luke straight. And the truth is, Anakin would, I guess, be Hayden [Christiansen] who would be young Anakin, who Luke never had a relationship with that version of Anakin, so there would not be that emotional connection there for Luke. Similar with Obi-Wan. I would have loved to have brought Ewan [McGregor] in, but the truth is, Luke never had a relationship with young Obi-Wan, it was without Alec Guinness and I didn’t want to create a digital version of Alec Guinness. So, Yoda was the obvious go-to in terms of if Luke is going to have a point of connection to the past that’s going to kind of kick his butt, then we can recreate Yoda and we can bring Frank Oz in to do it, and besides, that’ll be really fun.”