View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 AM
secretk
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Yes, definitely. It had to play a part for sure. Science is difficult so I feel like you have to have a combination of passion and intelligence (in this area) in order to succeed.
Most probably that's the case . And then if you don't have the intelligence it might be difficult to get passionate about it you know.

Quote:
They have it. Both Anna and Sara have been in every honors science course offered in high school. Many people have trouble with basic science courses and they're doing honors courses getting top grades. It's definitely their calling.
Definitely . The fact that Anna knew what she wanted to do since years and it's not like this is a subject that every kid wants you know. You have to have passion for it and she definitely has it.

Quote:
My cousin who has a post-Doctorate degree in several areas of science has talked about how she teaches a General Biology College course that nursing students need to pass and it's a General Biology course specified for "Non-Majors" of Biology too which means it's much easier than a student taking General Biology for a major in Science in college. She said it's the most difficult class to teach because these nursing students either hate the course or have difficulty passing it. They need it for the nursing program so she has to spend tons of hours out of class getting them to pass. This isn't even a biology course structured for people like my sister and cousin for majors in specific science degrees. It makes me all the more impressed with my sister, cousin, and now my nieces who are certainly following in their footsteps.
So weird that those people find such courses difficult. Science is not for everyone . To understand properly biology or chemistry you need to know also physics and math. Otherwise you might not grasp the concepts there. The reason my parents wanted me to go into maths that much was because math is the base of everything. If you understand it, you could understand almost anything else. Math is not just about solving problems. It forms your way of thinking. It changes your perception.

In this book that I read for example it was a section about the DNA and there was explanation on which ends the DNA molecule would link with others. It relates to how much energy is needed to form a bond, it relates to chemistry and covalent relationships and ultimately it's math. So they are interconnected and not all people are willing to go deep enough in all those subjects to grasp this material.

Quote:
Did you have to take German?
Yes. I spent my last two years in high school taking German and then the first year in university. I had to pass German exam in my first year to continue my studies.

Quote:
Got it. It definitely is very different.
Yeah . Luckily I had an idea early enough what I want to study, but not all kids are like that and sometimes it's difficult.

Quote:
So cute! She'll probably start talking to you first.
She talks to my mother a bit, but still she can't form full long sentences. I bet that soon she will be able though. She is now going to kindergarten and she plays with the other kids and most probably she will start interatcting with them.