View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 AM
LightYears
Master Fan

Quote:
Elephants have been my favorite animal since I was a little kid. I’ve always felt that elephants, whales and trees share a unique magical quality...big, wise, beautiful, complex souls. When in the presence of any of those three living things, I feel so deeply connected to the universe, to whatever “IT,” that greater spiritual power, is.
Did you know that elephants are one of the only non-human animals to mourn their dead, performing burial rituals and returning to visit their loved ones graves? Elephants are one of the most intelligent creatures on the planet, who experience joy, empathy, fear, grief, love. They cry and laugh. Their families are so important to them. Their emotional capacity is enormous and they’re one of the few non-human animals to suffer from PTSD.
Last year, during my 30th birthday in Thailand, we visited @phuketelephantsanctuary which rescues elephants from the tourism industry. The organization is saving elephants from the horrific abuse they go through to be domesticated for entertainment such as elephant rides. Being there, walking with them and watching them was one of the most special experiences of my life. They were gentle and kind.
This morning, the Trump administration lifted an Obama-era ban that had prohibited hunters from importing trophies of elephants killed in Zambia and Zimbabwe, back to the US. From 2007-14, the African elephant population dropped 30%. In some regions of Africa it has dropped 75%. On average, about 30,000 elephants are killed by poachers each year. In 2016, it was estimated that only about 350,000 elephants are still alive in the wild.
The reversal of this ban is sick, unforgivable and completely unnecessary. The message our country is sending to the rest of the world with this decision is heartbreaking.

We are the big brothers and sisters to all living things. Let’s spit on this decision today by doing research and donating to some of the incredible organizations combating poachers and dedicating themselves to elephant conservation. The @elephantcrisisfund is one of them. If this calls to you, do some research and find an organization you believe in! 💛🐘💛
📸: @samantha_marquart
Slide through the pics.
LightYears is offline   Reply With Quote