View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 AM
LightYears
Master Fan

Quote:
Morena Baccarin, actress

Where I live: Manhattan

Where I give: International Rescue Committee

“I came to the United States when I was 7, and although I wasn’t fleeing conflict or persecution, it gave me a small sense of what it is like to arrive in a new country when you don’t speak the language, don’t know anyone and have to learn a new culture. Looking back now and realizing what my mom must have gone through — assimilating to a new country without any help — I have a whole new appreciation and respect for anyone brave enough to try a new life elsewhere.

“I visited the I.R.C.’s resettlement programs in both New York and Baltimore, where I met with new arrivals who were being assisted with language, employment, enrolling their kids in school. It showed me how vital it is to offer help when families are trying to shed past trauma and move forward with their lives. I saw that a little help went a long way. It inspired me to do my part.”
These Well-Known New Yorkers Give Back. Here’s Why. - New York Times

Quote:
Hi everyone – I just wanted to take a minute today, on Giving Tuesday to share a message about the International Rescue Committee, an organization I’m so proud to support. With over 65 million people displaced, the IRC helps refugees around the world and in the US to survive and gain control of their futures. I’ve seen their work first-hand and am proud to be an ambassador for them. If you have any extra dollars to spare, @theIRC is a great place to give it to! 🙏
LightYears is offline   Reply With Quote