View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 08:46 AM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

No, I don't agree with that at all. The X-Men storyline is permanently linked with the Holocaust, ever since Chris Claremont's stellar run on the comic. To remove that element would diminish the whole franchise. It would remove some of its most resonant elements. And the Holocaust's high-profile genocide speaks much more to X-Men themes than stories of oppression in communist East Germany. I also wouldn't have found First Class half so resonant had it been set in the present day. Setting it back in the '60s is what made it work for me.

Also, I don't want to see an X-Men film with only the original X-Men (the 1963 comic team). I far prefer the later X-Men team that stated in 1975. There's a reason the original team didn't sell and their comic was pretty much cancelled. In the comics, Warren, Bobby and, to a lesser extent, Jean don't really have personalities. Scott is a good character, but he's awfully uptight, and Hank was at his best (quite good) only after he left the X-Men in the mid-'70s. As a group they were rather bland. The later X-Men were far edgier and more interesting. I liked the original X-Men when I first came across them in the mid '80s reprints of 1960s stories and I've enjoyed reading them at times since, but they don't bring out strong feelings in me. They don't move me much. The later versions of the team are what interest me. With characters like Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, Bishop, Rogue, ec.

And if we had to have a film like you suggest, involving specifically the original 1963 X-Men, then what's Raven doing in it? She wasn't part of the original X-Men story in the comics. She wasn't invented until 15 years later in 1978 and was originally a Ms Marvel villain. Mystique/Raven is a late addition and was never a central part of the X-Men storyline in the comics from 1963 to 2000, in other words the comics that came out before the films.

The main thing I would keep from the original X-Men is the fact that they started in the early 1960s (well, the comic did anyway), and First Class did indeed keep that.

I'm happy with First Class as it is.

Last edited by sum1; 11-11-2017 at 01:22 PM