View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 PM
brianitesince2001
Dedicated Fan

I know not many people like season 4. I wish a couple of things were different (I DIE when Brian throws Justin out in ep 409. It's really not watchable.) AND, they simply discarded eps 413 and 414 IMHO. I really tried to watch those eps. It's like aliens abducted the QAF writers/crew/cast and it became an entirely different show.

Having said that there are some amazing moments in season 4.

So many fans think B/J should have ended at 314. It DID have a finale feel to it besides the fact that everything was tied up in a neat little bow. WHEN I DIDN'T HAVE JUSTIN I WAS HAPPY KNOWING HE WAS HAPPY AND HAD ALL THAT HE NEEDED. NOW THAT I HAVE JUSTIN I'M HAPPY AND I DON'T NEED ANYTHING ELSE. Perfect. Perfect. Ending to the B/J saga. I might almost agree with that except I'd like it if eps 401 and 402 were added to that package.
It's just the continuation of the ooey, gooey love that B/J had for each other in those moments b/f the sh** hit the fan.

I actually could discuss this all night but there's nobody on the board to go back and forth. LOL

So, I'll leave it at this one discussion point. Somebody on a whole other site - and believe me when I tell you I can't remember where I read it - really rocked me.

This person said that in season 1 when Brian and Justin first met Brian immediately became Justin's b**ch and this continued until ep 314. And, it was said like this was a good thing. In a way I agree with this person. I'm always giving examples of Brian following Justin, how Brian fell immediately in love, etc. But, of course, there are several demands Brian would NOT meet until the absolute end of the series. So, was Brian really Jusitn's b**ch?

But, then she (assuming it was a she) said that in season 4 Brian stopped being Justin's b**ch. She asked vehemently where was Brian's killer protective instincts regarding Justin's involvement in the pink posse? She said Brian decided in that philosophical exchange with Ben that he was going to let the pieces fall where they may. In so doing he abandoned Justin and things were never the same.

Now, I see this completely differently. But, her take has haunted me b/c there are so many times I don't see the picture accurately or comprehensively.

My take is that Brian realized he simply wasn't able to control Justin or the situation in which Justin was choosing to place himself. For the first time Brian was really powerless in trying to influence Justin. Justin's always had a mind of his own but Brian was able to steer it when necessary the same way Justin's always been able to influence Brian.

I use the term impotent b/c later in the season he becomes physically impotent. Brian loses power/trust/control/confidence throughout the entire season.

The pain on Brian's face was evident when Daphne asked him what if Justin got into a fight or hurt? Daphne saw that pain, too. But, Brian answered honestly. Talking to Justin didn't help and there wasn't anything he could do. So, Brian soothed himself by saying that at least Justin knew that he could stand up for himself. Brian relented to the philosophical conclusion. He wasn't gung ho about it but he knew he really could do ZERO about it.

Oh - pretty important. Because I've watched this scene so many times I caught something and it didn't sit well with me. It actually goes to this poster's argument. When Brian answers Daphne OF COURSE THEY DON'T SHOW THIS ON CAMERA there's a sound and he's making a movement. If you watch closely it almost looks as if he's smacking his hands together in a slicing manner. (You can see only the tops of his arms so it's realllllly guess work and estimation.) But it looks kind of like Pontius Pilate doing the motion of "washing his hands" of it. So, if Brian is "washing his hands" in that moment then, yes, he's abandoning Justin. He's in pain but he's distanced himself from it and he's done. OUCH!!! That really disturbs me. Man, I wish they showed us what he was doing.

Any thoughts on this scene? Can anybody extrapolate what Brian's doing with his hands and what it means?

I have so much more I'd like to say about season 4 but does anybody have any thoughts about whether Brian was abandoning his protective instincts or was simply powerless to stop Justin?

Last edited by brianitesince2001; 10-22-2017 at 09:29 PM