View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM
DigificWriter
Absolute Fan

I just finished Episode 2, Wraith, and where Episode 1 was largely about setting up the characters and broader conflicts for the season, this one was about building characters and setting the board for where the season's narrative is headed and how Wil, Eretria, Allanon, etc. are going to fit into the progression of that narrative.

I'm not sure what Bandon's motivations for resurrecting the Warlock Lord actually are, but I do like that the writers are setting up that agenda as being in conflict with whatever The Crimson's ultimate goals are, since it would've been really easy to just combine the two antagonistic plotlines into one.

I liked getting to see a side of Wil and Flick's relationship that wasn't just "stern protector and rebellious teenager", and bringing back his history with the Warlock Lord is a nice callback that simultaneously gives Wil another personal stake in this conflict.

The "I'm a secret princess" thing has been done before, but by setting up Eretria and Lyria's relationship last episode without telegraphing anything about her past actually made it work better. I did like the subtle mirroring to the scenes between Wil and Eretria last season that the writers put into Eretria and Lyria's scenes, and I can already tell that her journey as we slide closer to another War of the Races is going to be fun to follow.

I liked the way we were introduced to Garet Jax, and can already tell that they're setting him up to be the "reluctant rogue" who ends up helping our hero characters almost by accident.

Somebody online last week postulated that Mareth's mother was Pyria, so it was neat to see that confirmed this week. I also liked that we got to see how extensive her magic is this week, and to find out that it's innate. I'm also interested to see if the writers bring in some more overt elements of the novel version of her character or if they stick with the more straightforward story of Allanon and Pyria actually being her parents.

I like Queen Tamlin, but agree with Lyria that there's something more to her actions than just forging an alliance with the Elves, and am going to keep "waiting for the other show to drop" in terms of what she really wants.

Wraith did a really great job of building on the foundation set by Druid while also focusing on developing the ways in which our major hero characters are going to interact with and play off one another and help progress the overall story for the season... and I can't wait til next week to see what happens next.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote