View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM
TheCheshireKitten
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
I don't think it would be out of the blue either...I guess I'm just skeptical because it seems like such a huge thing and they never give away huge things in the trailer. I won't be surprised if she does end up going with Kylo by the end of the movie, but I'm just not sure the scene is exactly as they're making it look. What I am sure about is that they're trying to show that Reylo shippers aren't as wacked out as the antis would have you believe.

(Having said that I still don't think it'll be a 2 way romance at least at this point.)
I actually think a romance or genuine relationship is possible, and here's why:

I believe in the idea of "go big or go home" - I've always thought there were two more likely possibilities in regards to the conception and trajectory of Rey and Kylo Ren and their dynamic - related or romantic/destined soulmates. Allies is too soft and lacking in power. Rey already has a BFF in Finn, BB-8, and likely in Poe in the future.

I'll go ahead and break the related angle even further down and say I never believed she was Luke's daughter - I think if related was still on the table (I really don't now, but there's always the fear, I'm not gonna lie), they would've made the story about her being the lost daughter of Han and Leia and Ben's sibling. Why? Because a sibling dynamic is more powerful than cousins. Setting aside Luke, fighting over Anakin's legacy or any of that - in terms of the emotional punch with Rey and Kylo, and in keeping their dynamic front and center, siblings make for a stronger narrative. It isn't even a contest.

I never believed in Rey Solo after TFA because going in that direction would make TFA retroactively terrible, and the characters written to be too stupid and OOC to live. Everyone would have to have force induced amnesia. They could do it, but it would make me utterly faithless in the storytelling with ANY SW movies going forward.

The yin/yang, powerful equals, mirrors, and destiny stuff is coming on strong with TLJ, picking up where TFA planted the seeds. I don't see them setting up a bloodline connection or making it about parents; I see two lonely, powerful people, coming of age and being destined to come together through the Force, perhaps reshaping it into something better.

I've also always believed Maz's "The belonging you seek is not behind you, but ahead" will end up as foreshadowing to Ben. Rey suggests Luke, Maz doesn't reply. Rey is going into TLJ likely with that in the back of her head. Instead it looks like he doesn't want anything to do with her because she reminds him too much of Ben. And I think this is one of things that will connect her further to Kylo. That doesn't mean I expect high romance or anything too overt in TLJ - there's another movie left in the trilogy to continue any threads developing in TLJ.

Rian Johnson basically said in an interview that Rey's parents will be important to Rey, but implied it's interesting rather than impactful - to me, that says no Skywalker-Solo reveal. That would be extremely impactful on the other characters and the story, as well as Rey.

We got a his/her perfume set advertised with Rey and Kylo. A Forces of Destiny doll pack similar to Princess/Prince dolls (and JJ "you have a prince and princess" Abrams is coming back for 9) when that could've just as easily been Finn - Finn HAS been in a Force of Destiny episode, while the Rey and Kylo one certainly can't air until after TLJ.

~Kat

Last edited by TheCheshireKitten; 10-13-2017 at 11:29 AM