View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 PM
TheCheshireKitten
Obsessed Fan

I love the Porgs so far. We'll see how I feel about them in the movie, but they're adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
I'm just tired of this trope, I guess. Not just in SW but in Hollywood movies in general, i.e. men getting redemption arcs after committing heinous acts. I think redeeming him through Leia would be a lot better and more meaningful because Leia's forgiveness is more powerful than anything that others can offer. She's the one he hurt the most, she's the one he probably really needs forgiveness from and it would be redemption through unconditional love, depends on how much they've filmed though.
They can easily go in a new direction (with the films, anyway) with Kylo, just by letting him live instead of redemption through his death; doing THAT would make it a rehash.

It's already quite different from Vader because he's so different from Vader, even though he seems to want desperately to be him. And I think he'll be a far, far more developed character than Vader was in the OT. Setting aside the prequels, Vader in ROTJ is a quick turn around - we don't get to see his inner thoughts except for his hesitation at the climax of the film. I think Kylo's character arc could be much stronger than Vader's overall, IMHO. Gonna give credit where it's due, though, Vader's redemption and relationship with Luke at the end of ROTJ makes that film, even if it's a quick turn around. That film would almost be nothing without it.

I see Rey and Leia as capable of inspiring Kylo to turn around. But the set up for Rey to be special to him was already established in TFA. He reacted to her differently than he reacted to anyone else. And quite frankly, I think a large part of the ST is about the younger main characters like Rey, Kylo, and Finn, finding themselves and "coming of age" in a manner of speaking. Even though Kylo is a villain, Rian Johnson has stated Kylo is also a protagonist, like Rey and Finn.

Everyone's mileage varies - for example, even though there have been many hoping for it, the most tired thing they could do is make Rey a Skywalker and make her primary relationship with Daddy!Luke. We've already seen father/child relationships/issues 3 times in the saga, twice in the last two years. There's nothing of interest in a ReySky reveal for me. It actually lessens the characters' potential and arcs across the board, IMO.

~Kat

Last edited by TheCheshireKitten; 10-11-2017 at 07:55 PM