View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM
girl under the floor
Fan Forum Hero

I agree!

Quote:
This is in absolutely no way excusing her behavior and excessive use of violence. I hate what they have done to her as she used to be one of the characters I most identified and now I don’t recognize her.
Octavia Blake grew up under the floor, she grew up loved but she grew up quiet and fearful. One of the first things Octavia learned was to be silent, Octavia grew with the knowledge that she couldn’t really have emotions, she spent much of her childhood alone in a tiny grey room. Let me repeat this: Until Octavia got to the ground she wasn’t allowed or encouraged to feel anything.
Now the ground is harsh and violent and dangerous and one of the first things Octavia learns is that violence is an acceptable way of getting what you want. The Trikru spear Jasper and string him up to strike fear into the Delinquents. Jasper is someone who Octavia cares for deeply, especially in those early days and she quickly learns that she needs to learn how to fight in order to survive. She learns that she is allowed to feel and she does, recklessly and desperately. She feel in love with Lincoln and he was able to ground her. He was able to tamper her recklessness and violence and we saw how she acted when she believed Indra had taken him 2x02, Indra admired her for threatening Nyko, for being so violent and she furthered internalized that violence was a good way of doing things.
She fell in love with Lincoln and then the grounder culture and then she lost Indra at MW and now’s she lost Lincoln and she’s back to being that scared girl living under the floor and that freaks her out. Octavia feels like she has lost the person that grounds her.
I think she feels trapped by her own grief and her inability to control herself and her emotions is leading her to turn her emotions off.

That ending scene with Pike is a prime example, Octavia is expressionless as she walks off and for a character who is as defined by her passion as Octavia is, that emotionlessness is incredibly dangerous. She has no understanding of the consequences of her actions because she’s never been taught that her actions have consequences. Unlike Bellamy whose code is protection and responsibility and love, Octavia’s code is quiet and stealth and stillness and to be unseen. Bellamy since Octavia’s birth has been aware of consequences but Octavia was never taught that
Octavia has the emotional maturity and depth of a young kid, she now feels like she back on the ark and that scares the living daylights out of her and then you add the fact that being scared freaks her out and you get the back half of season 3.
X

Last edited by girl under the floor; 10-11-2017 at 08:40 AM