View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Jerry D
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
That's very true. I just don't understand the finales of 4 and 5 were big DJ moments with Stupin in charge, you know? He definitely had them set up for a happy ending should the series have ended after 4 or 5. Maybe once season 6 hit he felt like all the cards fell into place... James asking for less screentime, revisit of PJ (but still weird how they were toast and she picked Eddie) and then he started feeling cocky like he could squeak out his pairing for the happy ending, using guilt with Kevin because he hadn't been around. I truly believe he was going to give DJ the ending should the series have ended after 4 and 5 but something changed in 6. I also think Kevin returning was the reason why he could go there. I remember PJ fans moaning when they found out Kevin was returning to write the series finale. The irony is Kevin returning was the best thing for them... well, if you want to say a tacked on ending that made zero sense was a good thing. I know Berlanti was furious over the ending because he said as much in an interview during early Everwood.
What Stupin was doing was cynically stringing along the Dawson and Joey fans and giving them false hope so they wouldn't stop watching the show, but I don't think he ever intended to give them their happy ending.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy