View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 09:03 AM
secretk
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
The comment was bad in the sense that you don't hear it often here, not out in the open, you know? Male professional athletes in this country typically are not that freaken stupid to be that obvious even if some are thinking it. You simply don't hear this kind of stuff. However, you are right that it's how he handled it after the fact that's even worse... for sure.
I agree with this, but for me to be honest the comment is not the worst because I would not be offended by that. I would actually laugh it off and say something back like "I'm not your typical woman so thanks for noticing it out". And I will show the person that I interpret this as compliment. In that case I always win. Either they did not want to offend me and we are OK or they wanted to offend me and I screwed them over . I would of course still talk to the person and explain face to face when we are alone.

However also there are people that would not think that this is offensive and they might try to joke. The moment you tell them that this is not OK for you they understand and they do not do it anymore. And that is how mature people should handle this. So this is what I meant. The comment per se is bad, but I have witnessed worse. The way he reacted to it shows total sexism, ignorance and even arrogance.

Quote:
He's an arrogant, sexist, jerk basically.

When you see his expression AS she's asking the question even before he makes the disgusting comment... just watching his non-verbal communication it's just repulsive.

This is why up thread I mentioned racism is not the only thing that needs tackled in this country. Sexism still exists as well. Maybe people are better about hiding sexism. But as we see, it's still around.
You are correct though - both racism and sexism still exist. In fact if you ask me what sucks currently (and not just in your country, but all over the world) is that people and society claims to not be racist or sexist when in fact it still is. And people do not want to even admit it because technically they claim to not be racist or sexist. On top of that quite often people do not even realize that their comments are sexist or racist because someone taught them that we involved and we no longer have issues with that.