View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Jerry D
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
So true. Katie changed her acting style from season 1 to season 2. Initially I thought Joey turned less tomboyish once Dawson fell for her romantically but I don't think that was primarily the reason because it increased as the seasons moved along. Quite frankly, during many Pacey/Joey scenes in season 4 I was nauseated not just because I loathe Pacey/Joey, but how Katie played Joey during so many of those scenes. Ick, lol.
Katie Holmes was one of the first actresses to become popular through the Internet. The first website that I ever visited and the first message board that I ever posted on was a Katie Holmes website. I also think that the writers and producers really began to favor her after Season One, and the shy tomboy became the IT Girl that no mere mortal could resist. This happened as early as Season Two, where in one episode, they had Katie/Joey pose in all these different costumes, which is something that Season One Joey never would have done. Eventually, the show became the Joey Potter Hour, much to its detriment, and I think that the the adulation went to Katie Holmes' head and she started just playing cutesy on the show.

Quote:
I will forever believe James requesting less screentime in season 6 allowed the Pacey/Joey revisit and added fuel for their stupid tacked on ending. I believe if James would have had a full load in season 6 we would have seen Dawson/Joey growing closer and closer and the series finale romantic ending would have fit like a glove.
I'd like to believe that too, Michelle, but with Paul Stupin in charge, I don't know if that would have happened, because he's the one who systematically destroyed Dawson and Joey over the seasons. Even when Kevin Williamson came back and he wanted to write a Dawson and Joey ending for the show, Stupin talked him out of it.

Quote:
I believe the network tried to dumb down the character of Jen because Michelle Williams could run circles around Katie in the acting department. The irony is like you said, Michelle was the only one who is an accomplished, serious actress that is known for how amazingly talented she is. The network of course was clueless and didn't care about what they had with Michelle just like they couldn't have cared less what they had with high quality Everwood.
That's so true. The writers and producers adored Katie Holmes and at least one of them said something vile about Michelle Williams, but Michelle had the last laugh as she's an award winning A-List Actress, and Katie is little more than tabloid fodder.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy