View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Lobsel Vith
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving in Stereo (View Post)
Elizabeth didn’t seem to completely rule out a romance between Fitzsimmons. This excerpt from an interview with TV Guide is from Oct. 2013.
Except that interview proves my point - they were playing the relationship as brother and sister. You simply didn't bold that part.

Frankly, it's not much different than if Coulson and Skye had ended up becoming romantic despite having a father-daughter relationship - except Coulson and Skye knew each other for less than a year (during Season One), while Fitz and Simmons had this brother-sister relationship for ten years when Season One starts. I fully get why Henstridge said it would be 'weird' at the Paleyfest panel, which was a few months into AOS airing.

Quote:
My interpretation of Fitz’s crush on Skye was that the writers intended it to be brief, lighthearted, and comedic whereas the storyline of Fitz’s feelings for Simmons was meant to come off as longterm, deep, and even heartbreaking at times.
Except the showrunners themselves admitted that Fitz and Simmons were a brother-sister duo during the early part of Season One, not a romantic couple in the making. It was never originally intended for Fitz and Simmons to be paired together romantically - Whedon and Tancharoen acknowledged that when they explained that Fitz and Simmons were based on the brothers from Ocean's Eleven.

Quote:
Also, I didn’t view Fitz’s crush on Skye as something that lasted throughout the majority of s1; I saw it more as a schoolboy crush that was nipped in the bud halfway through 1X06 not during the pod scene of 1X22. I believe that for Fitz there was a shift away from a sibling-like relationship with Simmons during the episode FZZT. About halfway through that episode and onwards, I no longer noticed him trying to gain Skye’s attention/affection. For the remainder of the season, his focus was on Simmons.
I don't see how the scenes are supposed to be a romance in the making in FZZT if the actors themselves say they are playing the scenes as brother and sister during that period of time.

And I noticed how Fitz seemed bothered by how Skye only kissed him on the cheek, so I'm not getting why you think he was no longer attracted to her.

Quote:
Furthermore, I didn’t see the pod scene between Fitz and Jemma as something that appeared out of left field. There was a build up (which included great moments of concern for each other’s safety, jealousy, hugs, longing looks, etc.) that culminated to that highly emotional moment in the pod.
I don't see how there was 'buildup' when the actors themselves say they are playing the scenes as brother and sister during the early part of Season One and the showrunners also confirmed the brother-sister relationship at the time.

Quote:
Even Jed and Mo stated that the underwater pod scene between Fitzsimmons was planned well in advance -seems like even before the pilot was shot.
Being planned 'in advance' isn't the same as being planned from the beginning. As both Whedon and Tancharoen acknowledge Fitz and Simmons were originally characters who had a brother and sister type of relationship, which is supported by the actors playing the characters, I'm not inclined to share your opinion on the matter.

Quote:
It’s my belief that if Fitz and Skye had been the intended couple, then it would have made sense for the showrunners to have tested Iain and Chloe’s chemistry. However, he auditioned with Elizabeth while Chloe auditioned with Brett. Jeff, Jed, Mo, and Joss are pros; they knew what they were doing when they screen-tested Iain with Elizabeth and Chloe with Brett.
I don't recall claiming that Fitz and Skye were intended to be a couple - I pointed out that, as per the showrunners and the actors playing the roles, Fitz and Simmons were not intended to be a couple from the start.

And if Whedon, Tancharoen, Henstridge and Caestecker are all saying the same thing - that Fitz and Simmons were basically brother and sister - then that explains why the showrunners wanted Fitz and Simmons to mesh well together.

Quote:
On another point, if Fitz’s attraction to Skye had played such a prominent role in his storyline throughout the majority of S1, then surely at some point Iain, Chloe, the writers, etc. would have been asked about a Fitz/ Skye relationship; instead Iain, Elizabeth, and the showrunners dealt with countless of inquiries about the Fitzsimmons dynamic. Besides, if Fitz/ Skye had been the intended couple, I’m sure the creators of the show would have been, if not openly pushing it, at the very least, mentioning this pairing in some sort of light during interviews in order to plant that seed in the viewers’ minds. Perhaps I just haven’t stumbled upon those interviews yet.
Fitz and Simmons mostly interacted with one another during Season One, which is even why you had some calling them FitzSimmons as if they were one person and not two different people. That some viewers interpreted two actors playing off one another as brother and sister to be romantic says more about the heteronormative interpretations of those viewers than it does to anything else.

And, once again, I never claimed Fitz and Skye were intended to be a couple. Clearly, the revelation about Ward being a amoral monster working for Hydra only works if Skye had a crush on Ward. I'm simply paying attention to what Whedon, Tancharoen, Henstridge and Caestecker have said on the matter.

Quote:
To me, there is just far more evidence out there that points towards a calculated planning of a Fitzsimmons romance by the writers during s1 than there is for an intended genuine Fitz/Skye pairing. While it may not be your cup of tea, it is what it is.
With all due respect, I'm more inclined to take the word of Whedon, Tancharoen, Henstridge and Caestecker on the matter.

Also, this is a thread about Skye and Fitz, not Simmons and Fitz, so I'm fully inclined to drop the subject at this point since I don't think you or I will change our minds on this matter, and this really isn't the place for it.