View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 01:52 AM
Movies
Fan Forum Legend

Have you seen this great post?

https://warriordm.tumblr.com/post/16...en-bittersweet

Quote:
There’s A Clear Difference Between “Bittersweet” and “Tragic”
I feel like many people understand this, but this sentiment cannot be stated enough. George R.R. Martin has said numerous times that the ending will be bittersweet, but that does not mean Jon and/or Dany will die. One of Martin’s strongest influences is Lord of the Rings, and look how the main couple of that series turned out.

Aragorn and Arwen were married by the end, but had to make several sacrifices along the way. They embraced their love for one another, despite knowing how much pain they would face in the future.

I would rather spend one lifetime with you, than face all the ages of this world alone.

We’ve already seen this tone illustrated in Season 7′s Finale as Jon and Dany finally realized their love for one another, but Viserion destroyed Eastwatch not long afterward. The scene in-between these final moments showed Arya and Sansa bonding over the words of their long dead father, Ned.

That is bittersweet.

Tragedy would have been Aragorn sacrificing himself in the final battle to save Middle-Earth, rather than becoming the King everyone hoped he would be. If Arwen were killed by the Witch-King and Aragorn could do nothing to stop it, that would have been tragic.

I truly believe that Jon and Dany will bring about a Targaryen Restoration as King and Queen. However, this won’t happen until they make necessary sacrifices like Aragorn and Arwen before them.

What will those sacrifices be? Difficult to say, but they will likely be more complex than fans can currently comprehend. One sacrifice could be the complete loss of magic in the world, which would bring about massive changes.

At this point, I’m hoping for a beautiful Silver Wedding that highlights the love between Jon and Dany, while honoring those who sacrificed themselves in the Great War.

EC | ADC