View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 PM
the1marie
Supreme Fan

Top 5 Morally Debatable Decisions
by Marie

1. The List

x
So... technically this might be a few decisions in one. The decision to create a list, the decision by Clarke to put herself on the list, and the decision by Kane to use the list while the rest of skaikru is unconscious. The very existence of this list is just so... morally debatable. I understand why they felt the need to have it and to use it. They want to give humanity it's best chance at survival, and a lottery is risky when there are exactly one and half remaining doctors. But also the choice to value certain lives over others is always going to be morally debatable at best.

2. Lying to Skaikru about Everyone Surviving

x
Once again, I understand why Clarke felt the need to lie about this. Telling a big group of people that only 100 of them to survive is a risky move, especially given how much we know the extras from the Ark like to form mobs. Her choice to lie definitely kept the peace (for all of one episode until it immediately blew up in her face), but it was also a really big lie. She gave all those people false hope when there really wasn't any.

3. The Culling

x
Okay, I hate to kind of agree with season 1 Kane, but I think from his perspective the culling actually did make sense. With the delinquents being sneaky about taking of the wristbands, it really seemed like Earth wouldn't be an option. And waiting would have meant more people having to die. Had we not seen on the delinquents being very much alive (except for the dead ones) on Earth, I probably would have thought Abby was crazy too. But also, deciding to kill over three hundred people is just wrong. I certainly do not envy the dilemma the council faced of not acting and potentially losing more people later on, or choosing to go through with the culling only to potentially find out later on that they didn't need to. It's like that scenario where you get a job offer that you have to respond to while you're still waiting to hear back from the job that you really want only A TRILLION TIMES WORSE.

4. Irradiating Level 5

x
So, I almost left this off my list because there were more mountain men then Arkers in the mountain and none of the Arkers getting their bone marrow sucked were children. So the best choice would probably be to save the most people/children which would have meant not pulling the lever of death 2.0. BUT the mountain men were the aggressors and Clarke and co. really did try every other option. And of course, the people they were saving were their friends and family, who mean a lot more to them then a bunch of mountain men they've (mostly) never met. But also they killed their allies. But also Cage was being super terrible. So, I declare this to be morally debatable.

5. Stealing the Bunker

x
Stealing the bunker did guarantee that humanity would survive even if Luna won the conclave, which was a very real possibility. However it was also very sneaky and definitely cheating and also meant that Kane and Octavia would definitely die had the door not opened. I totally understand why Clarke did it, but I don't agree with it. But also if Luna had won the conclave, then maybe I would have agreed with it.

Last edited by the1marie; 08-29-2017 at 09:27 PM