View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 AM
DiamondGirl5
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I'm really not worried about Louis long-term. I don't think this is that dark of a show- though I know nothing about MASH.
Suits has gone to a few dark places in recent years, but I hope you're right.

M*A*S*H is (was) based on the movie of the same title, a dark comedy set during the Korean conflict that dealt with very serious issues relating to war, peace, politics, and the day-to-day life of military personel. The drama/comedy was groundbreaking in the early '70s for how it used both humor and drama to tell its stories and make a statement about living during a time of war. Of the three surgeons (M*A*S*H is an acronym for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital), Frank Burns was sort of the third man out in the same way Louis perceives himself to be with Harvey and Alex (in the past, Louis has also been jealous of Harvey's relationship with Mike). Of course, there were other factors that contributed to the breakdown of Frank Burns (such as his jealousy over his former lover's marriage), just as there are other factors contributing to Louis's issues, but Franks Burn's final breakdown was written as straight comedy to quickly write the character off the show. I don't think Suits writers would make light of Louis's mental and emotional health in that way.

Quote:
I'm not sure trophy is the word I'd use though.
You're right, "trophy" isn't the right word. What I meant was, I think Harvey thinks he needs a new relationship to go with his new position. And I absolutely agree that Harvey needs to be able to recognize and voice his own feelings without Donna telling him what those feelings are or how to handle those feelings. If his relationship with Paula gives him room to do that, she is indeed good for him, short term or long term.