View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 07:57 PM
BrooklynFan
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madam magpie (View Post)
My guess is that they didn't cut to a wide shot because doing so takes the audience out of the intimacy of the scene. The closer the shot, the more intimate.

This little tidbit is so great to know, but a wide shot would have ruined the visual and the symmetry. I thought that whole sequence was beautiful as shot.
Yeah. I get this--the desire the keep it intimate--and even the fact that the way it was shot was visually confusing makes sense, in that the flashback and the present scene blend into one another, and at some moments its hard to tell which is which. And I know that's on purpose, and the idea is to show that the relationship has come full circle, from an initial moment of openness and trust, through lots of doubt, and finally back to trust (and the circling camera emphasized this full-circle idea). And yet ... I'm such a sucker for anything remotely romantic with these two, and I think I understand and like what they were trying to do with this scene, but I was still somewhat disappointed. I thought the editing was choppy and confusing at times, and it took me out of the beauty of the moment.

I'd have liked to see the wide shot.