View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 02:42 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightYears (View Post)
Thanks for that, LightYears. Wright and I have one thing in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Evangeline Lilly wouldn't be appropriate casting for Janet.

You know, Janet is a made up character too, just been around a lot longer.

Worrying what impression young people get of the Marvel universe is pointless, because the comics are all wrong these days and new readers are bound to get the wrong idea no matter what. But there will always be reprints of the old comics being published and so there will always be a certain level of awareness of the older Marvel. Hope doesn't erase Janet.
At this point I'd accept Evangeline Lily as Janet if only to get Janet into the MCU.

Yes, Janet is a made up character, sum1, but she hasn't just been around "longer," she's been around since the beginning of the Marvel universe and is the only character who has earned the right to be The Wasp in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. When I say Hope Van Dyne doesn't exist, I mean that literally, sum1. Hope Van Dye does not exist in Marvel Comics. She's only very loosely based on the alternate universe character "Hope Pym" from the MC2 universe, and that character was a supervillain from the future named Red Queen, and was never The Wasp. The only character that should be in the MCU is the character that has made The Wasp an iconic character in Marvel Comics for a half century, and that character is Janet Van Dyne.

And Yes, Hope Van Dyne most definitely IS erasing Janet from pop culture. Because of this Edgar Wright-inspired MCU crap, Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are being phased out of all Marvel media, including merchandising, where they no longer appear on any Avengers related products; animation, where they were once prominently featured in Earth's Mightiest Heroes but are non-existent in Avengers Assemble; and even in the comics where Hank Pym has been merged with Ultron and sidelined for god knows how long, and Janet has been pushed aside and replaced by this "Nadia Pym" character who appeared out of nowhere(and Nadia is Russian for Hope, which is no coincidence) and has become the new Wasp. So if that's not "erasing" Janet for the sake of convenience sue to one irrelevant MCU film made by Edgar Wright who didn't even stick around to make the movie then what is? It's just Marvel once again sticking it to long time comic book fans and Kevin Feige once again being king jerk of the universe.