View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:52 PM
sunnykerr
Fan Forum Star

Sorry, it seemed to like you were asking people's opinions on the U.S. lifting sanctions on Sudan. So I didn't realize you meant Canada as well.

I have no problem with my country lifting any economic sanctions. Typically, the types of countries on which sanctions are imposed are the types of countries where only the poor and non-dangerous portions of the population are affected by said sanctions.

In the case of Sudan, and bearing in mind what I just said, "our" sanctions are tied to specific individuals. Now, that's not necessarily a brilliant idea if we remember that mistaken identity happens quite a lot. But, in light of the ongoing conflict in that region, I would hope that the specific individuals whose assets have been targeted are not the kind of people I would feel too bad about having their assets compromised. Presumably, they have way more than one way around that particular legal quandry.

As for Cuba... Well, Lord knows there was a time the fear of Communism was something to behold, but it must be the generational gap or something, but the idea that Cuba is somehow scary now or has even been scary in any capacity is mystifying to me. I just plain don't understand what was supposed to be accomplished by putting an embargo on Cuba and I can't for the life of me understand what the appeal of going back to that would be.

As for Jared Kushner solving the Middle-East crisis on his own... Well, we've tried sending in intelligent people, maybe an idiot is what we haven't thought of before. Do you think he realizes that part of the problem is U.S. involvement in local politics?