View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Damocles
Fan Forum Hero

It's incredibly important as a viewer to be critical of what you're watching, instead of blindly loving something or brushing aside faults in the name of like...just being a stan. When I see people bashing the show for "promoting" things, it's a fair point but promotion is also in the eyes of the viewer. You take that information and do with it what you want. It's your responsibility to dissect that information and sort it right from wrong. The same goes for characters in the shows you're watching.

I think this show is great at giving us characters that aren't perfect, and who do crappy things without necessarily being crappy people. Or, sometimes they are crappy people but they're just trying to get by. I get really frustrated seeing fans blindly hating characters as well, based on one action they've done.

That said...

Favourite Ark-Born Male Character...

Bellamy Blake

So, I don't love Bellamy because he's hot and has nice arms. Does that help? Sure why not! I love Bellamy because he's IMO the best-written character on the entire show. THe fact he's portrayed by such a talented actor only propels the character further.

There have been times (many) when I've wanted to wring Bellamy's neck, and times when I felt sorrow for him. This show has done an excellent job of showing us every facet of his personality so we can truly understand his character, what makes him tick and what keeps him alive.

In season 1 Bellamy started off as a complete douche-canoe, but we knew instantly why. That was enough to keep me interested right off the bat. Oh, we've got a dude-bro here? Yawn. Oh, he's overprotective of his sister? Yawn. A couple of episodes in, we saw that there was more than meets the eye and that there was a heart inside that Bradbury exterior.

In season 2 he grew into a hero of sorts, which was a refreshing way to see him and it was excellent growth compared to some of his actions in season 1.

Season 3 was incredibly polarizing, primarily due to bad writing, but in essence because he took a dark turn based on his own fears. Having him overcome that fear was essential to his growth, and I think we've seen in season 4 that he's finally let go of the past and everything he's always been afraid of/afraid of losing/etc. I would say Bradbury is officially dead, so let's hold an RIP Bradbury party and all slick our hair back while strutting around like big shots.