View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 AM
MistyMountainHop
Fan Forum Hero

Hi, likeTV2! Welcome to the Zen thread.

Hyde's that could be anything, really, but it probably has to do with sex. Either role-playing or a certain act. It's actually a terrible moment, one that does nothing good for Hyde's character, and it conflicts with his development from "Prom Night" on.

Warning: Rant-ish meta-thing ahead.

Sadly, too much of his behavior toward Jackie in season 5 does the same (especially in the end; he's badly manipulated by the writers to create conflict), and I wish he'd been characterized more like his season 2-seson 3 self during season 5. Starting from "Prom Night," Hyde is protective of Jackie not out of any sense of possessiveness or personal gain but because he believes it's the right thing to do. And to protect her, he often puts himself in danger, makes himself vulnerable to her, or puts himself in uncomfortable situations.

In season 5, his self-sacrificing, noble, compassionate nature is very hard to find. A lot of this has to do with the writers playing up the Hyde/Jackie/Kelso angle and manufacturing conflict for that arc rather than letting conflicts rise organically from who the characters are. The writers strengthened the passive-aggressive aspect to his personality, which previously had manifested only in burns. Instead of being "a man and forgiv[ing]" Jackie, as essentially he told Kelso to do in "Baby Fever," he throws her, "Get off my boyfriend!" slip in her face constantly, holding his forgiveness hostage unless she (as implied) performs some kind of sex act for him.

Instead of confronting Jackie and Kelso in the moment when he finds them on Donna's couch, he acts on assumption and sleeps with someone else -- not to cheat but as a way of hurting Jackie and breaking up with her. The show itself even acknowledges that Hyde wouldn't be so impulsive by having Roy ask Hyde if he'd talked to Jackie about what he saw on Donna's couch, and Hyde says he's done with talking. That's how the show dismisses what Hyde would actually do. Hyde then says he'll be the bigger person and "bail" before Jackie does. And yet he isn't the bigger person. He doesn't go to her and say, "We're done." He has to lash out passive-aggressively and hurt her first before saying, We're done."

On the positive side, Hyde confesses the truth to Jackie almost immediately. But his apology is less of an apology and more of, "Come on, man. Be cool. It was a one-time mistake. Take me back so I don't have to suffer the hurt of losing you, so I don't have to have consequences for my actions."

He's way more concerned with his own feelings during that scene in the Camino than with hers. Understandably, he's afraid of losing her, but his love for her -- as written in these episodes -- is a selfish love, not an unconditional or self-sacrificing one. He should've owned up to his fear of abandonment and betrayal and worked on that. He should've focused on the pain he'd caused Jackie and why. Then, maybe, he would've been worthy of her forgiveness.

I do love J/H. I just think their romantic relationship in season 5 could've been written true to the character development that led to it happening. By wedging Kelso between them, the writers deprived us of seeing more organic development for Jackie and Hyde -- as a couple and individuals. We do get it in a quite a few season 5 episodes and a few season 6 episodes, but we could've gotten a lot more.