View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 03:24 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Saying that is totally missing the point. Wolverine as a character exists to do things that are inappropriate. That's his purpose. That's what he's about. The writers made him do that BECAUSE it was inappropriate.
But there was no accountability for it, sum1. And it made Jean look like a skank or an idiot. Most women would simply tell a guy that she's with someone and it's not gonna happen. The writers kept making Jean out to be a piece of meat.

Quote:
Kind of like how Madelyne felt after he ran off with Jean?
Well, chalk that one up to the writers. And at least Cyclops felt torn and guilty, unlike Jean, who never once tried to discourage Wolverine's advances, even after she and Scott were married. And he and Jean didn't "run off together." They created X-Factor, but they weren't a couple again until after the events of Inferno, when Madelyne was revealed to be a clone of Jean. Scott had attempted to find Madelyne and put his family back together, but she disappeared with Nathan.

Quote:
Not true. Chris Claremont did much excellent writing for female characters.
That's one guy. How many Marvel writers messed up characters like Susan Storm, Janet Van Dyne, Carol Danvers, Jessica Drew, etc? When John Byrne came out with the new She-Hulk comic I was relieved that someone finally got it.

Quote:
Just so Scott could get together with X-23?
Or Jean getting together with Beast? Like I said before, Marvel feels like they need to start over with them after all the damage they did to Scott and Jean. Just look at what they've done to Captain America, and now they're gonna fix it by having some bearded stranger in tattered WWII clothing showing up and calling himself Steve Rogers. So who's the HYDRA Steve Rogers, another clone? Was the real Steve sent back in time to WWII and just brought back? But there's nothing we can do about it. Marvel screwed up and now they're trying to fix things. I'm assuming they'll eventually get Scott and Jean back together, but slowly.

Quote:
That's putting it mildly. Killing off Marvel's best character just to spite Fox ranks as maximum stupidity.
Good character, yes. Marvel's best? Debatable.

Quote:
Gateway was a mutant. When they made Bishop an Aborigine, they made Gateway his grandfather.

I didn't like what they did to Madelyne or New York or the Marvel universe. And those demons were bloody annoying.
Ah, yes. Gateway was his name. Thanks, sum1. And they made Bishop an Aborigine? When did that happen?

Quote:
A romantic subplot doesn't become a waste just because it's not going to get consummated. It served an important purpose in Wolverine's character and in the relationships between all three characters.

That's questionable. Comics aren't just about bashing supervillains over the head.
Did you see how much damage was done to Scott and Jean's characters because of that silly love triangle thing? It didn't serve any purpose other than to build up Wolverine by tearing down Scott and Jean, and I got sick of it. And have you seen most soap opera writing? I'm all for having good relationship drama as opposed to just having superheroes fighting supervillains, but the Team Edward/Team Jacob stuff we don't need.