View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 AM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Okay, since you were so curious about my thoughts on Alien: Covenant, Sarah, I'll repost for you.

Quote:
Don't worry, Sarah. I'm gonna post a full review as soon as I can. But I have a lot to write, so I may not post all of it right away. Let's just say that Fassy is a total Hollywood A-list actor and blockbuster movie star now after his recent string of hits. I must say I'm impressed. He managed to play both David and Walter(an updated version of David with an American accent) so convincingly I forgot they were being played by the same actor. Suffice to say, David is the film's villain and Walter the tragic hero. The film picks up ten years after Prometheus, but still doesn't align with Alien and Aliens, which continues to be frustrating.

The effects and acting were all really good, and the pacing was definitely an improvement over Prometheus, which tended to drag at times and got caught up on exposition. There was, however, one scene in Alien: Covenant which I thought was beneath Ridley Scott. A scene where the Alien attacks a couple in a shower, which seems right out of the 80's slasher film playbook. The Alien might as well have been wearing a hockey mask in that scene. It just seemed totally out of character for the movie and unnecessary. I also liked that the 'Life' musical theme from Prometheus was repeated at a certain point in the movie, and David even plays the theme for Walter on a wood flute. It's a beautiful, majestic piece of music, and I'm really glad that they kept the Life theme from Prometheus in Covenant. They also used Jerry Goldsmith's original themes from Alien in the opening credits and in individual scenes in the movie.

And Ridley Scott didn't just put the familiar Alien themes into this movie, he also put in a lot of the Blade Runner mythology into the film as well, as it pertains to artificial intelligence and the responsibility that mankind has when it plays God creates artificial life... and what happens when that A.I. starts to want to play God as well. David's been a bad, bad boy.

I'll post a more complete review when I have more time. Now, without giving too much away, for anyone who saw Prometheus and wants to know what happened to David and Elizabeth Shaw after they left the planet, here's a little prologue to Alien: Covenant that also acts as a epilogue to Prometheus: