View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 02:24 PM
MyzButterfly
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie51 (View Post)
not at all... i'm disappointed in the story. isis shouldn't die. its the same as building to killer frost and then redeeming her almost instantly. iris shouldn't die, it does nothing for the story and is pointless... but they made it about her death. and so when she's found to be alive - if not wholly well next episode -
Ah gotcha!!

I think the point the writers were aiming to bring across is how important Iris is to Barry, and thereby Flash. There were definite holes along the way, but overall for S3, I think that's their goal. Other factors notwithstanding, they're bringing that point across.

Quote:
if you're going to build to something, you need to have some lasting impact. and i can't see one. if they were leaving killer frost as a villain heading into season 4, there's an impact. in the drive to save one friend and loved one, you lose another, good impact. hr's probable death pretending to be iris kind of fits that but the impact is somewhat mooted by the fact that we only knew him for one season. it's not really the same as having someone whose been around since almost day one - losing them has more gravitas to the long time viewer. but they are already frantically redeeming her so that's not happening.
That's why I think they're going with HR, so that the team doesn't lose a long time person and minimize the damage since it's their darkest season thus far.

Quote:
wally had powers in flash point so while it was in fact new - that's the logical progression and most probably saw it coming. we see him as a hero at the very start of the season and he's a better hero at the end of the season. that's good but again, not a big needle mover because we saw it most of the season. its not a cliff hanger. like if kF killed julian, that would be a moment to build into season because its like omg, caitlain lost, she's forever KF, etc... but that's not where they seem to be going.
But that's the thing. Isn't it better for Caitlin to be around than KF? If she's KF, as a villain she'd have to be removed completely from the canvas at some point. I think the redemption is quite hasty, as she has a hand in Iris' 'death' and I still don't know her motivation. Actually, I really don't get much about KF or what drives her at all. But showing that Caitlin is still in there kinda saves the character.

Quote:
my point is this, i view shows as i do book series. you obviously want the reader to come back for the next book in the series, correct? in order to do that as an author you need to create scenario's that increase the interest or keeps the interest for the next book.
I'm waiting to see what the cliffhanger is at the end of the season. Something has to happen that changes or sets the dynamic for S4.

Quote:
my point of contention is that this feels like a conclusion, not a TBD. this is like the end of the Lord of the rings with Frodo going off with Gandalf but everyone else whose survived is going to have a relatively nice, happy life. or end of the pirates of the caribbean where yeah, will's the new davy jones but he's still ends up with elisabeth, etc. it feels more like a conclusion than something that is supposed to drumb up excitement in season 4.
See, but I'm not against them concluding this arc and starting fresh for S4. This season has been so dark and haunting, I'm kinda hoping for something new altogether. Yes the effects of S3 would have be felt in S4, but I don't think a conclusion is a bad thing.

Quote:
you can't kill off iris because she's too important and integral to the story. but you also shouldn't go 0 for 2 when its comes to consequences. because otherwise, everything worked out for the better really for the heroes. and while that's a great finish to a story... i don't feel personally like it sets up the next chapter that well.
This reminds me of when Cpt. Cold told Flash "Your goodness is your strength." It's a win that Barry needs. He's suffered too much with seeing his parents murdered. Now that it's the the love of his life, he needs that win!

Quote:
you save iris and lose caitlain. good story, potentially great.
you save iris, save caitlain, get wally super powers, enhance cisco's abilities... that's a more a happy ending than what you see from an act heading into an intermission IMO.
I guess I don't get the Iris/Caitlin correlation? The stake of Caitlin being KF isn't as high as Iris losing her life. So then why wouldn't' they wrap the season up and start anew? I still think there'll be a cliffhanger though.

Quote:
and even in doing the redemption arc, that's fine... but one episode later? after building towards it all season that's it?
I agree. I think they should have done a much better job with the redemption. But it's the same as Iris. They could use her job as a reporter to tie the strings for Team Flash but they have ignored it. It just reminds us that each character supports Barry Allen. Unless it's something that will directly affect him, we're not going to see it.

Quote:
it pains me to say this and i know its not how the show feels - but she's basically an after thought as caitlain. and its not just because they just have her standing at a computer desk but its because of the lack of importance relatively speaking placed on the character. because outside or hr, she's basically low member on he totem pole...
I don't think Caitlin is low on the totem pole. I think she's up there from Cisco and Julian's perspective. I really don't think they, especially Cisco, get the credit deserved for being there for Caitlin. If anything, the KF arc solidified the relationship that Cisco and Caitlin have. That's a positive factor that hasn't been recognized nearly enough IMO. It kinda feels like if the attention isn't from Barry, it's not worth having, and I don't understand that at all.