View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 04:37 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetuned (View Post)
I was a fan of Robin/Ted throughout the series but just hated the way they were seemingly tacked back together at the end of the series after spending 20 some episodes on a wedding with her and Barney and getting to meet Tracy (people might have felt differently if Tracy wasn't as likeabla as she turned out being)

Don't take this as hate at all because it's really not but I just can't see them getting married in the future
It's okay, Mike. But I've had this discussion before, many times, and Ted and Robin weren't really tacked back together at the end of the series because the entire series from the very beginning was about them. Even during the final season there were episodes like "Platonish" and "Sunrise" that were going back to Ted and Robin. That was pretty much the main narrative of future Ted's entire story to his kids, and throughout the entire story there were hints and clues that Ted and Robin's relationship in the future was closer than the writers were letting on. I always point to the first three seasons where Ted would mention to his kids how "Aunt Robin" would always come over for Halloween dressed in crazy costumes, and the crayon drawings that Ted's kids made of them and Robin going to the beach and the zoo, which implied that Robin in the future had become very close to Ted's kids.

I think it's safe to say that Robin in the future had become a surrogate mom to Ted's kids in the years following Tracy's death, and that as Robin had become a part of their family, she and Ted slowly grew closer together until they finally reunited in 2030, now having grown and changed as people and were finally ready to be a couple. And I personally think that if Ted and Robin didn't get married in the future it would defeat the entire purpose of the story. However, I do agree with you that the writers should never have dragged that wedding out across the entire final season, and they should never have made Tracy a regular cast member during the final season. That was mostly due to CBS unexpectedly renewing the show for another season, forcing them to stretch the story out for another year. Originally they were going to end the story in season 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplerose82 (View Post)
Hi, Alex

On the Joey/Rachel thing I read that the cast didn't feel comfortable with the Joey/Rachel thing and that's probably a big reason why it didn't last long.

Good point about the dream..if that happened with Ted it would have been a dead giveaway that it wasn't real. They could have done it differently though.. I just think it would have been an easier transition to bring up Ted and Robin again.

I took that as his endgame too..If present Ted had said it I wouldn't have thought anything but since it was Future Ted speaking in 2030 I took it as foreshadowing also their pact (even if they broke it) was still a hint that they would get married someday.

BTW did you hear that they might bring HIMYM back? I don't see it happening as everyone has moved on. Plus, with the amount of hate the finale had why would they want to?!
Hi, Amber! Yeah, the Joey/Rachel thing was mostly just a "jump the shark" moment for Friends.

Yeah, I think that there was really no way to do that episode any differently, aside from just ditching Robin's imaginary future children altogether. But that would've damped her emotional pain over her discovery that she couldn't have children. But I also think that storyline was kind of unnecessary, to be honest. And you're right, since we're always hearing Ted in the future, it's clear that 2030 Ted is still holding a torch for Robin if he's talking about her like that to his kids all the time. And I haven't heard anything about HIMYM coming back. Are you sure? I've only heard that a How I Met Your Dad show is in the works, but as far as HIMYM goes, everyone has already moved on to other things. A reunion special would be nice though.