View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM
FauxDetective
Loyal Fan

I really enjoyed this episode! The "love you" exchange on the plane was very sweet and I loved seeing Happy and Toby working together to save the pilot.

Happy's crazy list of secrets was a bit over-the-top - I always wish the writers would focus more on staying true to the characters than trying to turn everything into a joke - but I can forgive that because I loved what this episode showed about Happy and their relationship. The way I see it, Toby's agitation wasn't entirely about there being things he doesn't yet know about Happy. That's certainly part of it, because he obviously prefers complete openness, but I think it's also very reflective of his low self esteem. We've seen him make several comments about how he never thought someone like Happy would want to marry someone like him. So I actually felt his reaction was more about his fear that he won't measure up to Happy's previous relationships and experiences.

I thought Happy dealt with the situation perfectly. She recognized that his reaction was rooted in insecurity, and instead of getting angry or impatient with him, she reassured him. It reminded me of how she handled things in Adaptation. This is the side of Happy that I missed in the first half of season 3!