View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM
amy2345
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisbeauty (View Post)
^ I love these kinds of discussions which really dig in and go beyond individual preferences! I think you are both right in a sense. I have always kind of liked Elijah and Hayley although I don't ship them in particular. However, I think the writers DO want us to "root" for them, because we see that this is what these characters have wanted for a long time. I don't think the writers are saying the relationship is necessarily the best or the healthiest. I think it is more about what it says about the individual characters rather than the unit. Elijah ALWAYS puts those he loves on a pedestal--especially the women he loves, but also his family and himself. He glosses over their faults in the name of ideals like "family". It's what we love about him! At the same time it is not healthy because he keeps what is ugly behind "the red door".

However, once characters get together on these shows the writing itself tends to gloss over everything in the name of "The Grand Romance". This may please shippers (for a while) but alienate the general audience and ultimately does disservice to the story and characters. Characters, particularly the female characters, start behaving more like ideals rather than real people. Hayley is beginning to seem this way to me in this episode and the current one, for instance.
That's my only problem when either Elijah or Hayley express any kind of guilt for past actions, I generally don't feel it from either one of them. They say they feel guilt but then as you point out the writers just gloss it over with the next second. Take for instance characters on Angel when they discussed past sins they done they really feel the guilt and it's not just glossed over it becomes very important of the character's layers. Great example would be Wesley when he turned dark and did some rather nasty things he definitely felt guilt about it. Rather on this show is somewhat is talked about and then it's not mentioned again.