View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Gelfling
Elite Fan

Quote:
But it wasn't. Bette started stealing Joan roles because of her youth
Heh I don't know where you read that but Davis was 2 years younger than Crawford so it's not as if she swooped in. She started making movies later because she got her start in the theatre and Crawford came up in movies at a younger age but they were the same age.

Quote:
And when somebody is stealing your roles it's normal to hate her/him. But they barely mentioned it
Because it's not true at all . Davis and Crawford were very different actresses and they were under contract with different studios until Crawford switched to Warner and that was well after Davis was established.
Even then they were never considered for the same parts because they had very different styles. The only time they both got in the same vicinity for a part was when Davis passed on Mildred Pierce and the part went to Crawford who proceeded to win an Oscar for it, and it was only because Michael Curtiz loved working with Davis and Warner gave it to Crawford to piss off Davis who was getting "too picky" for his taste.

Some people say it started with Crawford eclipsing Davis's big breakout movie with the news of her divorce from Fairbanks. Other say it all started with a guy Davis had a crush on and Crawford proceeded to get married to.
Whatever got it to a boil, it was never really the problem. What created their enmity was that they were very different sides of the same coin: Hollywood actresses and they had different personalities and a knack for taking shots at others and what kept it fed was that Warner used it to try and control them.

Quote:
They could've made 2-3 more episodes about their youth.
It would have been nice from a biopic point of view, for sure, but I guess it would have been too complicated. They would have needed other actresses to play them young, who could act and look the parts. And it would have been too distracting from a narrative point of view, imo. And since the show was really about sexism and ageism, that would have been out of topic I guess.

Quote:
Yeah, for some reason it reminded me of "he kills people because his mother hated him" or something.
Well, they both grew up in fatherless homes, very poor. I don't know how much of our lives is influenced by our childhoods but I'm pretty sure that we are more than a little defined by our relationships to our parents, especially when they are lacking or traumatic.

Quote:
And that dream sequence... I wasn't satisfied.
I hate dream sequences. Really, I do so I wasn't happy with it either. I guess it was their way of giving the characters closure by making them say what they both wished the other would have said earlier but it didn't work for me, although it gave both of them a great opportunity for a home run performance.

Quote:
Netflix is the new HBO. Pretty much any Netflix show will have good reviews despite being completely generic
They're doing a looooot of craps lately though. But then they're doing what people want to watch so I guess that explains why they're successful
And ironically enough, it's the most generic crap that gets them the most success. I mean... Stranger Things? and then The OA goes almost completely under the radar

Quote:
They also have a new show called "Dear White People", lol.
I only saw one episode but actually it's not bad. I thought it was going to be a train wreck but they're playing well with the ambiguity of both sides of the race conflict in the US.

Tonight, American Gods start and I'm both worried and excited
Verdict tomorrow.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"