View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 AM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Honestly, if Jesse hadnt been added to the show, then so much of the screen time that was directed towards him and Isabel could have been directed elsewhere. Like to Maria/Michael and Max/Liz. Yeah, there are plenty of Max Liz pacing problems in those early episodes, too.
I have nothing against Jesse and I have a lot of respect for the way they developed his character from a straight-edged lawyer / law-abiding citizen to loving Isabel so much that he facilitated their escape in the series finale. However, I was disappointed with the lack of focus on other main characters who weren't Isabel in the early episodes of S3. Max spent most of his time pining for Liz (AGAIN) and as much as I loved the M/M dynamic when Michael found work & other friends, there wasn't enough time spent on it. The snapple episode was so much fun and surprisingly warm-hearted but it was over in a flash. I was left wanting more. The whole season felt that way.

Quote:
Here's where I have to disagree. In no way, shape, or form does Michael and Maria's season three breakup undo anything that they experienced, developed, or created with each other in season two. Season two is a beautiful season for them, no doubt. They gain this sense of trust and maturity with each other that culminates with him staying on earth for her. Nothing will ever change that. Whether they remain together or drift apart and find their way back together, as they're bound to do, nothing can undo the relationship they already have, not to me.

I'm not saying that Season 3 destroyed Michael/Maria to the point of no return, but look at that episode where she's invited to New York for her singing career. She seeks out Michael, has sex with him, then doesn't respect his advice when he tries to warn her about the dangers of travelling without knowing more about the music industry. She became very self-centered and put Michael's concern down to jealousy. I didn't appreciate that at all.

Quote:
But isn't this the point? Maria feels tied down and hindered because of the whole alien coverup. And that's not Michael's fault. He didn't have any more control over her involvement in it than she did. But in the end, it's not out of obligation that she goes with Michael and the others. It's truly her choice. She chooses him.

But even Liz points it out in the finale - Maria can't make up her mind about anything. One minute she wants out of the alien drama, the next minute she wants in. Maria wanted it both ways and kept sending Michael mixed messages about their future together. Sometimes you couldn't even tell if they were still together or not. Like when Michael turns bad and yells at her for not loving him enough - she's all defensive, even though he has a good point. And the part where they visited a tarot reader about their future... Where did that come from, on Maria's part? Her entire character motivations in Season 3 were unclear, and I put that down to poorly constructed writing.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen