View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 PM
April7739
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
I definitely agree that only spending one episode on it definitely lessened how believable it was that Maria would have an epiphany like that
Honestly, if Jesse hadnt been added to the show, then so much of the screen time that was directed towards him and Isabel could have been directed elsewhere. Like to Maria/Michael and Max/Liz. Yeah, there are plenty of Max Liz pacing problems in those early episodes, too.

Quote:
The sad thing about Behind The Music, even though it's a fair evaluation on how a person's wants and needs can change so quickly, is that it undoes all of the meaning behind Michael and Maria's growth as a couple in Season 2.
Here's where I have to disagree. In no way, shape, or form does Michael and Maria's season three breakup undo anything that they experienced, developed, or created with each other in season two. Season two is a beautiful season for them, no doubt. They gain this sense of trust and maturity with each other that culminates with him staying on earth for her. Nothing will ever change that. Whether they remain together or drift apart and find their way back together, as they're bound to do, nothing can undo the relationship they already have, not to me.

Quote:
A lot of time was devoted to developing them both as people and with each other in that season, and Season 3 does the complete opposite, just for Maria to have a personal moment of crisis... Which all proves pointless anyway, in the Graduation episode, where she does indeed CHOOSE Michael and this whole life with the aliens.
But isn't this the point? Maria feels tied down and hindered because of the whole alien coverup. And that's not Michael's fault. He didn't have any more control over her involvement in it than she did. But in the end, it's not out of obligation that she goes with Michael and the others. It's truly her choice. She chooses him.
ICON