View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 02:54 PM
ollibear
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I empathize with all of you. I know many of you from other fandoms. While I didn't ship B/E as a couple, I liked their friendship. I know what it's like to have such belief for your ship and to be jerked around. When they played that final song, I winced because I knew what that meant - it's almost like adding salt, lemon juice, etc to a gaping wound. They could have picked another song, but they didn't. The ultimate middle finger to a fandom by the writers. I just thought that was in poor taste.

See you around, all.
It was in poor taste, Donna. You are right.

Lizzy Weiss wrote a story about Bay & Emmett's metaphysical destiny for five years, and then, at the last minute, she seems to say to the audience, "Psyche! Fooled you! Daphne isn't just Bay's touchstone. Daphne is Bay's soulmate, too!"

I believe the story is far superior as it was told in the beginning, with Daphne as Bay's touchstone and Emmett as her soulmate. If the writers were going to change that this late in the game, then they should have written all of the fate, destiny, and soulmate stuff to be how people see love in their youth. The writers should have shown Bay accepting that we make our own choices and forge our own meaning.

Instead, the writers still went with the fate, destiny, and soulmate stuff, but just transferred all of that magic and mysticism to the bond between Bay & Daphne instead. After what Daphne allowed Bay to sacrifice for her, I find that difficult to accept.

I do not see Daphne as Bay's soulmate. With the way that the story has been written, I can't.

Year after year now, the showrunner has given the middle finger to anyone who loves Bay & Emmett. I relate the decision to do that, to this line from the "Dance Me to the End of Love" episode.

Bay says to Daphne:

"Everyone thinks that if you have a great idea, everything else just falls into place, but it's the execution that counts. It's all the details. Every little tiny choice. That is what art is."

And rather than create art that is beautiful and has substance and a soul, Lizzy Weiss seems to feel a need to use her details, every one of her "little tiny choices," to express contempt and disdain for the people who love her art the most.

I will never understand that. It must take a cruel person to do that, and you are correct, every decision appears to be guided by her need to attack the people who love Emmett the most.

The beauty of her art for all of her characters is lost in that negativity. That's a shame.