View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM
teaholic
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
And what a slap in the face to Bay that Regina wants to raise another child, but she takes no interest in Bay. Regina wasn't even willing to help Angelo raise his daughter Abby, who is Bay's biological sister. But Regina is all over raising another man's son.

I thought it strange how she keeps taking in 19 year old young men. That's how old Travis was when she took him into her home, too.

Why does Melody want to rescue young men her son's age, when her own son obviously needs more of her attention? I don't get it.
I have so much to say about this episode, but I just wanted to respond to this quickly. I had the same reaction as you about both Regina and Melody, but then I thought about it, and I think it might be realistic. It's not great, and I don't think it's a wise decision for either of these women (although way worse in Regina's case), but I think it makes some psychological sense. Maybe they feel like they screwed up with their own biological children, and rather than untangle the mess in those relationships and have to deal with the anger, resentment, and disappointment that their children probably feel (again, obviously way more in Bay's case than in Emmett's), they would like to make up for it by starting fresh with another child who sees them as being perfect, and with whom they have a clean slate.

I know a person like this in real life, a man. He was pretty uninvolved in his first daughter's upbringing and kind of neglected her, especially after he divorced her mother. But with his second daughter, he was an absolutely doting father from the get-go, even after divorcing her mother, and fought a hard custody battle to make sure he could be deeply involved in her life. At the time this was happening, the eldest daughter was still a teenager and could have used her father in her life, but there was some bitterness and hurt that he would have had to overcome; whereas the second daughter was very young and thought her daddy was perfect. Guess what? He continued to ignore the eldest daughter, to the point she ended up changing her last name to her mother's, whereas his relationship with the youngest daughter continues to be really close.