View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Little_Stewie
Master Fan

Yeah, I also remembered that some of the show runners were originally working with Buffy. Which ones exactly - can someone educate me? Then, the whole 'Monster of the week' versus Mythology episodes was of course not invented by Buffy and existed before, for instance with the X-Files, but that was another similarity. Most importantly, however, there was the parallel of a chosen hero fighting evil with the indispensable help from his friends ('Scoobies'). Ironically, another parallel is the romantic entanglement of the chosen one and some of the evil non-humans (Buffy/Angel or Buffy/Spike versus Nick/Adalind), in both cases leading to the evil non-human becoming good. I have to agree that the character's motivations (as well the relationships they were in) was much clearer in the case of Buffy: romantic love with Spike, versus sexual lust with Spike, for instance (at least initially!). In Grimm, one would have expected to learn how Nick's feelings towards Juliette develop, once she's no longer a Hexenbiest/Eve, for instance.....but the writers did not go there, which is quite hilarious, when you think about it. Also, it's amazing considering Grimm was a production airing on one of the 'big' networks, and not WB/UPN as in the case of Buffy. The latter have descended into Soapy territory after the fusion into CW, imo.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Little_Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote