View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 01:42 AM
PetiteFleur
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
It's there, whether you need it or not

Quote:
that was quite a coup
Brought to you by the creators of straight-baiting
(Also, this)

OK, a few thoughts on the finale.

Can I just say that it feels so ***ing good to be right about something for once? (I'm not even going with "I told you so" )
Lol I even got my "waking up from a horrible dream" bit, of sorts.
And I've never had a better dinner, considering I didn't have to digest ink.

I wanted Flint to be hugged (and kissed and wrapped in a blanket, and fed cookies) for so long, I'm in heaven it happened. The infamous pirate captain Flint was unmade by the power of love!

Spoiler:

A realist in me appreciates that there's enough room for interpreting it all as being one of the stories created by Silver (in a show that is all about the power of storytelling!), with enough hints pointing to that direction, i.e. we never really see the conclusion of his and Flint's conversation in the woods, and birds startling into flight, as if there was a shot fired.
But the pessimist in me (yes, I do mean pessimist, i.e. the person who even in the best possible circumstances always sees the possibility of it all going to hell in a matter of seconds) chooses to believe in what was presented in front of our eyes, because there's enough misery in RL in general, so can I have this fictional poor soul to find his ***ing peace with the love of his life (in whose name he waged a war on the ***ing British Empire), pretty please? Not like they got a true happy ending, being forced to live in that labor camp and all, no matter how humane the conditions in it are. Also, I'm backing this version up again by what Toby said on twitter some time ago that Flint himself would not see his end as a tragedy.
(Besides, not to sound like some tumblr SJW, but to end this particular story of a gay character in such a way that it's only a lie would be just cruelty beyond redemption imo. I mean, if he'd simply just died in a battle for his ideals, or in any other similar way, without the possibility of his reunion with Thomas being ever presented to us, I would be OK with it. Well, not completely OK, but you get my point. A classic tragic ending for a tragic hero. But I don't find this Atonement-like version to be more *poetic*, as some people do. It's just cruel, as I said)

On a side note, how many days (hours?) will it take Flint to come up with an escape plan? Or is it better to leave it to Thomas to persuade the owner of the camp to reform the camp in such a way that nobody will have to stay there without them choosing so?
They are going to turn it into a book club! James/Thomas is the force to be reckoned with! I need a spin-off.

Maaan, they really planned all this in advance, remember Peter Ashe sending Abigail off to Savannah, so that she would not cause trouble during the Flint's trial?
(Silver mentioned that "the governor in Carolina made use of" the camp. I'm not saying that she was sent to this camp exactly, but Ashe was talking about some friend, and it looks too suspicious to be a coincidence)

Also, this needs to be appreciated more:

The speech that Jack gave in the very next scene after Silver told Madi about Flint is SO meta, I can't.
("A story is true. A story is untrue. As time extends, it matters less and less. The stories we want to believe... those are the ones that survive, despite upheaval and transition and progress. Those are the stories that shape history")

Loved Jack!
I didn't care about him much in the beginning, even though he often cracked me up, but he really grew on me over the seasons, and this season he's something else. Not to mention that he is his best self when he listens to Max!
It was so satisfying watching him resist the urge to keelhaul Rogers and making him pay in a much more suitible way. I'm dying: of loves & lighthouses
Also, Toby Schmitz's facial expressions are a gift!

Loved that Featherstone became the governor! His stanning for Max payed off.

Loved that last shot of Max, being the real power behind the scenes.

And she didn't have to sacrifice an important part of herself to achieve this.

I wish there were more Max and Anne and some interaction between them, but I think their arc was concluded beautifully in 4x08, so I'm not complaining.

I wish there was more Madi's pov (and the maroons in general). Her smile when she saw Flint on deck And her grief when she thought he was killed by Silver.
I feel her anger towards Silver for undermining her entirely. But at the same time I understand his desire to end the war and the suffering. That's a conflict I can live with. And in the end he will always feel her resentment for what he's done, so.
Btw, despite what Madi said about him having it planned for days (weeks?), I think he decided to act on it only after Flint told him that he would probably do the same to have Thomas back.

I wish that kiss was longer, I'm shallow as that *sorrynotsorry*

All in all, it feels so great to have a finale that gives room for hope for all the characters, even though their future is hanging upon them, being it the historical one (Jack, Anne, Max by extension, given that Rogers will come back to serve as a governor after being released from the debtor's jail), or as described in TI (Silver. But not Flint, thankfully! No way he's gonna drink himself to death. Btw this ). And it's so refreshing not to have a finale that's all doom and gloom!

Luke Arnold continues to be adorable

Quote:
Just keep watching it and then come back to talk about it
Sounds like a plan!

Last edited by PetiteFleur; 04-03-2017 at 06:17 AM