View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 AM
PetiteFleur
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I must be dreaming I'm not! ANNAAAAAA!!
Carla! You are very kind, and I really miss talking to you! (But I'm too depressed to, well, actually talk)

Quote:
Heh Flint's backstory makes the rewatch SO worth it. They really took their time on that one but damn, that was a big boom! And nobody can say it was a last minute thing because it's always been there. We were just not watching
And it's such a complex story! He's lost his loved one (and a promising career) not just because of homophobia, but because homophobia was used for political reasons (and when is it not, really?). "And then they called me a monster?" Ugh!
I love that the creators said they don't even think it was James' first same-sex sexual relationship, but a romantic one, which is why it's so tragic to have such disastrous consequences. It makes so much cense, considering the show's theme about shame being one of the driving forces of civilization.

Quote:
Man, the dude-bros were so bitter about it, it was brilliant
It's glorious! I'm registered on a site where you can check all the episodes of shows you watch (it's in Russian so I don't recommend it. ETA: you can switch to English actually, so I'll give the link just in case), and you can comment as well. All the other episodes of Black Sails usually get less than a hundred of comments, but 2x05 got more than 1400 and you can pretty much imagine the content of them
It's so satisfying to watch them cry how "such a dude show was ruined by this twist". "Dude show", ha! Maaaan, you know nothing Jon Snow. They also complain S4 is boring because of "too much talking", I wonder how they lasted this long!

Quote:
Well, I'm bothered as a human being because nobody should go through things like that and a lot of women do. As a viewer, like you say, they made a point of not making it graphic, because it wasn't there for the sick entertainment of some of the guys, and it was not gratuitous because it was a cathartic moment for her. If all the stories of this type were explored that way, that would be very different from what we have today.
Yep, that's what I meant, I'm not that good at articulating things lol.
It was probably easier for me bc I binge-watched it, it was still heart-breaking and disturbing of course, but it resolved pretty quickly and with satisfying outcome. And what helped is that it was the ladies who got s**t done!

Quote:
and ofc when you have an actor you can trust to not overplay it, it's best. I dread to think what other lesser actors would have done with it.

Quote:
Somehow I doubt that'll happen but hey, at least it was a good ride. Interesting pirate, who knew?
I'm gonna stay in denial till the finale airs, and then I'm gonna pretend that it was all a horrible dream, after which James wakes up in the governor's house in Nassau, with Thomas and Miranda beside him, because Alfred Hamilton had a stroke right after he left the house that evening he had an argument with Thomas over the pardons (see, he could have been robbed and stabbed and left to die, but I have mercy!). And Thomas became the governor, and New Providence island was the first colony to get independence from England (historical accuracy? what's that? ), and they adopted Eleanor and later Abigail (because Peter Ashe was robbed and stabbed and left to die, duh!), and all is well, and nobody will convince me this is not what actually happened *lalala*

Spoiler:

But anyway my prediction is that Flint will die a symbolic death, while McGraw will finally find his peace, and I'm gonna print this page out next Sunday and eat it if I'm wrong.

I need to know more what you think of Miranda, and the relationship between all three of them. I've read some people think she was kinda jealous and hurt after T&J relationship started (pointing at the look on her face in the scenes when T&J kissed, and when she sat with a book with T's inscription to J), but it's too simplistic to view it that way. She was a bit side-lined, sure, and she was worried for them, but the things she said to James after he came back to London from Nassau about loving both of them speaks volumes imo.
(You should've listened to her at THAT moment, James, and not blame her later for convincing you to leave after Thomas had already been taken ). And I love her line in S3 about being a mother to him, considering the lack of mother figures in his life that we know of, and she was probably the closest to one.
And OMG the way she's turning her face up to the sun, longing for love and joy in life
But what I also like about her is that she's vengeful as well and not afraid to admit that she wishes for both Alfred Hamilton and Peter Ashe to die and the whole city to burn!

Also, Thomas. I saw some opinions that he's a bland, uninspiring character and ofc I can't sit still when someone's wrong on the Internet . Idk, I'm probably biased, but I love him so much, and he had such an influence on James (making him transform from pragmatist to an idealist of sorts), and left such a void in both Miranda's and Flint's lives. What's your thoughts?

On a side note, this is perfection:

Spoiler:

Quote:
I liked how their relationship evolved through the seasons too. From one side to the other.
He was so kind to her in the end! It's so fitting for her character to have the last moments before death with him, given that they shared the vision for Nassau. And she died the moment Nassau was burned to the ground by the hands of the same people who were responsible for her mother's death, which was her worst nightmare (thanks, hubby, you're a true gift!), and she talked about it with Miranda in the same house where she died! These writers really love their stories coming full circle.
Oh, and Miranda's house! What's even left for Flint at this point? I'm sobbing again. (*cough* you know who I'm looking at *cough*)

Unpopular opinion, but I don't care that much about Silver. I like Flint's dynamic with him, but I kinda enjoyed it more in the first two seasons, when Silver was a "little s**t" And sure, Flint found a new purpose in life when Silver talked him out of sacrificing himself in S3 (btw this post ), and I loved that he found someone he could confide in after Miranda's death (which is a huge step for him), but it still feels pretty much one-sided? Even with all this talk how it hurts Silver that Flint betrayed his trust in 4x09. But I'll probably need a rewatch after the show is done to form a final opinion on him. (Still think Madi is the Queen and he's not worthy Her speech to Rogers! )
Btw, Luke Arnold is adorable in his fangirling over the show

Whew, this is the longest I've ever written about Black Sails (or any show, for that matter), I need to rest.

Last edited by PetiteFleur; 03-29-2017 at 12:50 PM