View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Jasper1975
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
In a way I am glad that Roswell was on when it was on. It was a simpler time.

In the age of social media it might of done well or it might of failed. I find it so refreshing that way back when people concentrated more on the character and stories then on the actors personal lives.

Or if we did get a tid bit of info on the actor it was more exciting. I remember how Roswell did a Roswell bio book on the cast and it was so interesting.

Now a days we would go on twitter and know everything. When they were filming what they were filming ect.
True, but at the time there was information out there about the antics good and bad behind the scene that were out there, if you looked. Especially if you were part of the spoiler forum in a heavy way. But it's true, a lot more would be known if twitter was involved.

But in the way, more publicity might have benefited the show. The show to this day is considered more of a cult classic, even more than Buffy or Gilmore Girls. I think it might have helped the show, to have more involvement to be had in social media.

Of course there is pros and cons...

Quote:
There was more of a mystery about the cast.

That is why today when Shiri posts old set photos from set or the cast at parties we appreciate it that much more.
But then it's also almost fifteen years later. So anything related to the show is considered with a degree of fondness. So even if the show had been big in social media, we would still appreciate it.

Quote:
I look at a show like Buffy that stood the test of time 20 years later people still love it. I think because it was so well done and in a era were sci-fi was not so main stream it stood out.

Same thing with Roswell. It was an amazing story and great cast!
Buffy was part of a time, the same time of Roswell, but it was in a way that was different and it really caught fire and so twenty years later, we are able to appreciate it in a new way. There were flaws, which with time, you sometimes do overlook because we can appreciate the show. Of course it helped that Buffy was based on a cult classic movie, but when done on television, it really revamped it's image and brought girl power to the forefront. A kickass girl.

Quote:
Couples were not cannon and the word didn't have a set of rules. That is why Buffy and Roswell lasted. Even if the story lines were all over the place you knew the facts.

Roswell- three teenage aliens who survived the 1947 crash trying to survive in the world on earth. Max saved Liz, Isabel was the beauty, Michael was the outcast, Max the outsider, Maria the strange friend, Alex the brain. Kyle the jock, Tess the 4th alien, Liz the girl who was saved. Aliens had powers, Aliens were in secret. Didn't know what characters to trust.

You knew who everyone was and they character development was interesting.

Buffy one girl who was chosen to be the slayer and protected the world from the dark forces. Sunny dale lived on Hell mouth. Demons and Vampires were real. Couldn't go out in the sun, drank blood, burned to crosses, garlic, and had no refection in a mirror. Vampires didn't have souls.

Over the years they stuck to the cannon. But the character development was insane. So well done.

I think if you have a great story and stick with the mythology and cannon facts then your show will live on.

Roswell taught us lessons about growing up and finding yourself.

That is why our board has lasted for so many years! The story touched us all.
There was something human about Roswell that made it very accessible. It was something simple. Of course there was a Romeo and Juliet quality with Max and Liz. Kids who were outsiders. And opening themselves all up to a new world, and a new destiny. It made it easy to love. There was flaws, but somehow you still appreciate the show for all it's warts...
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!