View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
See, this is part of what makes me upset at Marvel fans. I feel the same way with people who give Hank Pym a hard time. Same as with Scott Summers. The writers are the ones who messed around with their characters, and it's not fair to blame the characters. And as for Cyclops "psychically cheating" on Jean? Yeah, and what about Jean having all those stolen kisses with Wolverine and not even trying to tell him that it was not appropriate or pushing him away? How many times was Scott supposed to be made to feel like a cuckold before he decided he'd had enough? Besides, what happened with Scott and Emma was entirely in a telepathic realm and never actually happened. Scott and Emma never actually physically touched until after Jean had "died" again. And I think that this stuff started with the New X-Men title under Grant Morrison in the early 2000's after the first X-Men film came out.
Yeah, the sith really hit the fan in Marvel Comics after the first X-Men movie came out. I identify that as the point when the Marvel I care about ended and the crap began. At least as regards the comics.

Thanks for the info. I suspected it was something like that. Since the first X-Men movie came out, Marvel Comics has been crapping all over Cyclops non-stop. Until they killed him and then I think even after that.

Quote:
And of course, because the films marginalized Cyclops and made everything about Wolverine, the comics were expected to align themselves with the movies to prevent confusion, which is why I hate it when movies deviate from the comics.
Well, Wolverine was by far the most popular X-Man for years before the movies came out, so the focus was not surprising. But I still don't think they should have turned Scott into just the smug guy who's in Wolverine's way. His death in X3 was done in such a way as to be downright insulting. Wolverine and Kitty Pryde are my favorite X-Men, but Scott's an old favorite and my favorite of the original X-Men and I don't like to see him done down. Some of it I think is because people often don't seem to like characters that are sombre and serious, like Jack in Lost and Bill in True Blood. They prefer the smug "rebels" like Sawyer and Eric Northman.

Quote:
I suspect this is why Marvel brought the teenage, time-displaced Scott and Jean(along with Bobby, Warren, and Hank) from the original team in the past into the present day, so they could start all over again with their characters since so much damage had already been done to them.
That's a cop-out on their part. They should bring back the original Cyclops and salvage the character. Some serious retconning and some good writing should do the trick.