View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I agree, sum1. And "Ri Ri" sounds like a character from 'Empire,' so it does seem a bit stereotypical, but I just went off on PC so I don't wanna sound too much like a hypocrite. She's created by Brian Bendis, the same guy who created Miles Morales for Ultimate Spider-Man... and just because actor Donald Glover complained about not being considered for the role of Peter Parker, which went to Andrew Garfield instead. Seriously? Who cares about Hollywood actors? They complain about everything.
Donald Glover bagged the role of Lando in the Han Solo movie, which I think is a mistake, because he looks nothing like Billy Dee Williams, the original Lando. But then that whole movie is a mistake.

Quote:
I personally preferred Terence Howard as James Rhodes. Don Cheadle just doesn't look like Rhodey from the comics to me, but that's just me.
Terrance Howard looks nothing like Rhodey either. Plus he has a baby-like face and a weak voice. He gets on my nerves and he has no talent. Don Cheadle is a high quality actor and at least looks more like Rhodey than Terrance does. Don replacing Terrance is one of the reasons Iron Man 2 was way better than Iron Man 1. That, the introduction of War Machine and the introduction of the Black Widow. But then none of the Iron Man movies was very good. But I at least enjoyed Iron Man 2. I can't say that for 1 or 3.

Quote:
I liked Rhodey in the early 80's comics as well. He was the Iron Man in the Secret Wars miniseries, as well as the Iron Man in the original West Coast Avengers miniseries.
Yeah, Rhodey as Iron Man brings back memories for me.

Quote:
I know you didn't like WCA, but I kinda thought it made sense to have two teams, one on each coast, to give them greater mobility. Cap always was more east coast-based, and Tony does seem more at home on the west coast. X-Men did the same thing with their Blue and Gold teams.
It's not that I dislike the WCA. I just don't see them as mainstream Avengers. They're a spinoff. To me being in the WCA is not being "in the Avengers". It's being in the West Coast Avengers. My favorite WCA character was probably Wonder Man and Marvel has screwed him up every which way. Now, Rogue has absorbed his powers and while I like Rogue having powers like that (she's an old favorite), I want Wonder Man to have them too. I noted that "Simon Williams", his civilian name, was listed among the characters in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (unfortunately played by Nathan Fillion). Maybe Wonder Man is going to make a comeback? I have a casual liking for Iron Man, and a certain amount of interest in Hawkeye because of his complicated personality (though I find his abilities a bit lame). I liked Moon Knight too. But I'm not going to go through every WCA character and comment on them here.

Quote:
I agree with you about Beta Ray Bill and Eric Masterson as well. I know you don't like Donald Blake, but my only reason for giving him a pass was because he didn't really exist. He was always Thor, just having been brainwashed into thinking he was a human.
That was a retcon. He didn't start out as that. He started out as a real man who could use the hammer to turn himself into Thor, and gradually the Thor mode of the character shifted into being the real Thor.

Quote:
Ditto Wolverine losing his adamantium, but I think that was done just to change his claws so they were actually bone that was covered in adamantium and not artificial constructs put into his arms.
But they kept him without the adamantium for about 7 years.

Quote:
As for She-Hulk being objectified, hasn't pretty much every female superhero going all the way back to Wonder Woman and Catwoman? They always draw these characters to arouse and attract the attention of male readers.
They went in for it in a big way with She-Hulk. Comic covers with her naked except for a newspaper, etc.

Quote:
Well, unfortunately it's too late for that, sum1. The Ms. Marvel name has been given to Kamala Khan, the Muslim-American superhero, as part of Marvel's "All New, All Different" cultural redistribution project. And with Carol getting her own Captain Marvel movie with Brie Larson, I think Marvel has pretty much settled on her being the heir apparent to Mar-Vell. And again, while I like Monica Rambeau, I still think the Captain Marvel name should go to the wielder of the nega-bands and the title of "Protector of the Universe," and that's Carol Danvers. I do wish they'd give Monica a new storyline and a better name. How difficult is it to come up with a name? DC can make a name out of anything.
Well whatever her name, Monica is a superior character to Carol and she deserves to be seen in the comics and the MCU movies.