View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 01:30 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Calling cultural appropriation over Iron Fist is ridiculous. Since when can white people not do martial arts? White people have been learning martial arts, and often picking up some Asian culture with it, for generations. If Marvel can't do Iron fist as he was originally conceived they shouldn't do him at all. It's all just bull. There's good reason to respect different cultures of different ethinicities and races and respect different peoples' claim on their own traditions, but there's a point beyond which political correctness vanishes up it's own arse hole.

I'd like to see Monica Rambeau onscreen. I'd much rather see her Captain Marvel than Carole Danvers's version. Monica was a great strong black female character way back in the '80s and was Avengers leader for a while. She's an old favorite of mine.

What's this about Spider Man being replaced? When did this happen?
Yep, that's why I mentioned Daniel Larusso from The Karate Kid. You probably couldn't make that movie today without offending someone. Sheesh, do I have to apologize for watching Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damme, and Steven Segal movies too?

While I'd like to see Monica Rambeau on screen, I think I'd prefer her being given a new name, like the one she had later on - Photon - or something else. It's not that I object to her original name, "Captain Marvel," but narratively it doesn't fit since she had nothing to do with the storyline involving Mar-Vell, Carol Danvers, the Kree, Eon, or the mantle of "Protector of the Universe." Monica's power had nothing to do with any of that. She could transform herself into different forms of living energy at different wavelengths, which was quite formidable, but other than the name Captain Marvel, she really had nothing to do with that storyline. She just adopted the name because it wasn't in use at the time, since Mar-Vell was dead from cancer and Carol was "indisposed" with her consciousness and power having been absorbed by Rogue and her body being turned into "Binary" of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard.

Spider-Man wasn't "replaced," sum1. I'm referring to Miles Morales, the Spider-Man from the Ultimates universe who has now become part of the 616 universe since the Ultimates universe was destroyed. Peter is an adult now, and running his own company while being Spider-Man as a global superhero, and Miles is the younger Spider-Man based mostly in New York. I appreciate what Brian Michael Bendis was trying to do, but all Morales does is detract from Peter's place in popular culture the way John Stewart has done to Hal Jordan. When the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds came out, there was an outcry from the PC millennial crowd because they incorrectly assumed that the Green Lantern's race had been changed from black to white. Many of them didn't know about Hal Jordan because the Cartoon Network's Justice League series featured John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan, which only confused the hell out of audiences, most of whom remembered Hal Jordan from the comics and the original Superfriends cartoon, and the newer, younger audiences who only new the Justice League cartoon from the 2000's. Thank goodness DC and WB put Hal Jordan back as Green Lantern in the newer JL cartoons so as to stop the confusion. I understand what they were trying to do, but it didn't have to be at the expense of Hal Jordan's legacy. And now I'm just afraid that Marvel might be doing the same thing to Peter Parker.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-16-2017 at 01:38 PM