View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
It's the same kind of nonsense I've been reading online regarding the fake outrage at casting a white actor as Danny Rand/Iron Fist. I know sum1 has issues with the actor in particular just because he doesn't like that actor, which is fine. But people who say that Danny Rand should be changed to an Asian character because they feel that Danny Rand as originally conceived is now "politically incorrect" or a form of "cultural appropriation" - or even worse, an example of the "white savior" trope - are just insane.
Calling cultural appropriation over Iron Fist is ridiculous. Since when can white people not do martial arts? White people have been learning martial arts, and often picking up some Asian culture with it, for generations. If Marvel can't do Iron fist as he was originally conceived they shouldn't do him at all. It's all just bull. There's good reason to respect different cultures of different ethinicities and races and respect different peoples' claim on their own traditions, but there's a point beyond which political correctness vanishes up it's own arse hole.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with showing diversity, but I'd prefer using more characters that were actually conceived as non-white characters, like Luke Cage, Sam Wilson, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Monica Rambeau, etc. Or how about creating new ones? And by new ones, I mean new characters with their own individual identities and not ones that merely step into the roles of established characters like Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, or Green Lantern, as comics have been doing recently.
I'd like to see Monica Rambeau onscreen. I'd much rather see her Captain Marvel than Carole Danvers's version. Monica was a great strong black female character way back in the '80s and was Avengers leader for a while. She's an old favorite of mine.

What's this about Spider Man being replaced? When did this happen?