View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM
teaholic
New Fan

It always saddens me to think about all the missed potential with the Regina/Bay storyline. It feels like the writers just went off on a whole bunch of irrelevant tangents and missed the big things, like Regina and Bay bonding over art (they did a little, but not enough), Bay learning about Puerto Rican culture, maybe even traveling to Puerto Rico...

I guess there is a possibility that the writers were intentional with that, and that they are trying to convey the message that things don't always work out so rosily. Sometimes biological mothers don't really care about their biological children and don't want to bond with them. Sometimes finding your bio family doesn't lead to any epiphanies or help heal any wounds. A few years ago, I watched a documentary about a girl who had been adopted and, as a teenager, was going through a sort of identity crisis and decided to find her bio mom. She did, and the meeting was disappointing. Her bio mother was not very interested and had a large new family to worry about. The daughter didn't get to learn much about her, and it didn't help her understand herself any better. I guess that happens enough in life.

If that's what the writers are going for, I want to see it acknowledged. I need Bay to confront Regina once more about this, or even just to say to another character, "It still hurts that Regina hasn't made any effort to be closer to me." Something so that we know she sees it, and it hurts. Right now, the writers are making it seem like everything is fine and rosy, and that just doesn't feel genuine.