View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 01:55 AM
ElenaBelle
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glader|4|Life (View Post)
I just think it's so sad and disturbing that Stefan, the kid who has been depressed and guilt ridden throughout most of his supernatural life had to basically commit suicide to have a happy ending. It is just such a morose and disgusting message to send. I mean you can put any kind of spin you want on it, but in the end Stefan's character had absolutely no progression... his whole 'story' has been used to prop Damon. How Julie/Kevin thought this was the right choice is beyond me, but it does prove to me that Damon's story is really the only one they give a damn about.
Totally agree with everything.

At first when I watched the episode I was kinda distracted and not paying attention but afterwards when I actually spoke to others and thought about it, I was so saddened. Stefan was not a hero in this equation. For me heroes are people who want to live but end up dead in a fight or because they have no choice. Stefan had a death wish during those last couple episodes and it's so disturbing that the writers are trying to glorify suicide like that. He basically went from wanting to live to wanting to die multiple times in 8x12-8x15. And we saw him wanting to commit suicide in S1 and then being willing to die a few times after that. This behaviour is what you see in someone who is clinically depressed and mentally ill. And even though he had things that made him happy in the end his self-loathing made him choose death. And I'm not saying he's a saint but on this show since all the characters have done terrible things and are seen as the heroes the situation is judged differently.

And of course these writers probably don't even see it that way. But what do you expect from people who don't even realise they're writing rape scenes or didn't think Caroline should react to having her body violated with a forced pregnancy and all the other gross things they've done?