View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 08:32 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Damn, I fell so far behind on GOT I don't know how long it would take to catch up. I wish I had started from the beginning. If I had know there'd be incest I'd have checked it out.

Well, I had issues with the first Thor movie as well, sum1. I felt it was a mistake to eliminate the Dr. Donald Blake persona that Odin created for him from Thor's story because it humanizes him and gives him depth, and gives him a reason to want to be Earth's protector beyond just his feelings for Jane Foster.
Personally I never liked the whole Donald Blake thing. I've always hated Thor having "human forms". I don't need Thor humanized. It's his difference from ordinary humans that makes him an interesting character for me. Donald Blake bored the bejesus out of me and I always wanted him gone. Same goes for all of Thor's other human alter egos.

And I don't really think Blake gave Thor depth, particularly seeing as they were often portrayed as if they were totally separate characters. The depth that mattered in Thor came from the character of Thor the thunder god, not his human alter-egos. Nor did Thor need Donald Blake to make him want to be Earth's protector. Midgard (Earth) was an important part of the Asgardian cosmology and was important to them. Add in some extra experience with Earth for Thor and hey presto you've got an Asgardian who wants to protect Earth. Particularly with all his Earth friends and associates.

I consider Blake to be a manifestation of a rigid-minded early comic book writing mentality that insisted that characters have civilian alter egos. Amongst early characters, the Fantastic Four are a breath of fresh air because they don't bother with civilian alter-egos at all.

I feel very strongly about this. Thor is one of my favorite Marvel characters and the repeated fixation with giving him human alter-egos annoys the crap out of me. I'm interested in Thor the thunder god, not some random human dweeb like Blake or Masterson.

The human alter-egos of Thor are a big part of why I prefer Hercules to Thor. No human alter-egos there. But they got around to messing him up eventually too. In 1994 they took away his immortality and in the past decade they removed all his powers. Marvel can't get anything right anymore.

PS: See PMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just have a little faith (View Post)
OK that sounds extremely intriguing and would be cool to see
Just wait until you see Thor turning into a human wimp every time he's separated from his hammer for a minute. You'd get tired of Donald Blake pretty quick too.

Last edited by sum1; 03-12-2017 at 07:28 AM