View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 06:03 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

I'm beginning to think I'm not going to like this film....
First, that annoying guy David Harbour being up for the Cable role, now this.

I'm tired of characters' races being changed. Whether it's Bishop being switched from African-American to Australian Aborigine-American in the comics or Johnny Storm being switched from white to black in the recent Fantastic Four movie, it's not ok. It's disrespectful to the material and to whatever race the character originally was. It was disrespectful to African Americans when they switched Spawn's buddy Terry Fitzgerald's race from black to white to appeal to white audiences in the 1997 Spawn film, and the Johnny Storm switch was similarly disrespectful. All races should be respected and if you're going to screw around with the material so much, don't adapt it. In the comics, Bishop was the first African American male X-Man, yet in more recent comics they took that away by switching him to Aborigine. That was really disrespectful to both African Americans and Australian Aborigines, acting as if they're interchangeable, without distinct identities. Quite apart from being extremely disrespectful by taking the first black male X-Man away from his people.

The only time it's ok to change the race of an important character is when the actor they cast is really good, like Idris Elba or Rutina Wesley. I see no evidence of that being the case here with Domino and Beetz. I'm open to being won over if Beetz does a good enough performance, but Cable and Domino are old favorites of mine from the '90s and I want to see them done properly and that includes reasonably faithfully. I don't think we're going to get that. Casting an unexceptionally talented 6'2-3" actor as Cable doesn't cut it. Surely they can at least manage 6'4"? And someone really tough in manner. That Harbour guy comes off like a dweeb in every role I've seen him in. I can't imagine him getting Cable right. This sucks.

I'm sick of miscasting. Cyclops (both versions), Storm (Halle Berry version), Magneto (McKellan version), Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat, Sabertooth (both versions), Gambit (both versions) , Colossus (first version), Callisto, Jean Grey (Janssen), Banshee (actor not Irish), Juggernaut, etc -this list goes on. How can they get so many characters wrong?

I dread the Gambit movie with Chatting Tannum or whatever his ing name is. Gambit was never a favorite of mine, but he's a good character and that actor is no more fitting for the role than he would be for playing Jean Grey.

Last edited by sum1; 03-09-2017 at 07:31 PM