View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Ahiru77
Part-Time Fan

Thanks. If this show was actually good (and it being on a platform nobody watches was all that's wrong) I would tell y'all. Heck, I would probably mention that issue only once after season 1 wrapped and after that just focus the story.

That's not the case here.

Season Episode 8

I don't know what I expected.

How can they deliver a good interrogation episode, when they never wrote a good character arc to support it. The writing for the hut-side of the episode doesn't work. The one good reason to abuse Eddie like this, is for Richard and the looney guy to find out who killed their leader. Who killed the foundation of their cult. Any reasonable viewer would see the point, however criminal, of them doing this.

This mission/ is just thrown out the door because the story decides Richard and Looney shouldn't care about their leader anymore. Nope. Done with that. Eddie is the leader now.

WHAT?! Eddie the leader?!?!

No, that "dream prophecy" doesn't explain/justify him being the new leader. It's not based on anything that would make sense after what the story has given us for two seasons. Several issues:

1. Why is Eddie's nirvana the cult compound when that place was nothing but torture to him. Plus, the very idea of making normal people stay inside a closed compound is not right. It's unhealthy how easy people can gang up on you when you're live in a terrirtory where everyone must have the same viewpoints or else you're toast.

2. What leader only thinks of his own family when he sees a perfect place. He doesn't even care about the rest of the people living on the compound.

3. How has Eddie's story arc supported him becoming a leader and even Richard getting behind that? He hasn't helped anyone, he hasn't saved anybody, he can barely stay sane for 5min.

Viewers won't buy into the hut interrogation making any sense, because Richard and Looney had no clue what to do. They don't show the competence that would convince viewers that what they are watching is going somewhere. Viewers won't buy into the purpose of the hut scenes (to reveal Eddie as the new leader) when nothing the character has ever done supports that.

The popstar-side of the episode is trash. Plain and simple.
And the mother-side too (even though that had a decent start, but the back and forward between the mother and Sarah didn't work well at all. Neither side felt genuine, it all just felt like melodramatic filler.)

The raw realism Aaron delivers when Eddie is outraged at the kid being left behind, his drug state, the wonder of the "garden" and the aftermath is spectacular. And too short-lived. They should've engaged him more with conversation in the hut, instead of knocking him out right away. And in the dream he should've seen more of every event that has happened in his life, not just Johnny. It's too short. But what little they did give him he played magnificently.

It's magic.