View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxury (View Post)
We saw Echo's face when Bellamy learned about Octavia's 'death', IMO there isn't a stone-cold killer in there. I kind of like what Fuzzy is alluding to - a backstory of something that happened to make her more this way.
I don't think she needs an explanation for why she's "this way." She grew up in Ice Nation, so that's an explanation enough. They're all stone-cold killers. But that doesn't mean that stone-cold killers are all they are, if that makes sense. Like she could be a killer who also mourns a younger sibling who died in war.

Like let me throw an imaginary backstory at you. What if Echo and her younger sister were both spies and they were sent on a mission to Mount Weather, but the Mountain Men killed the sister and captured Echo. Then Bellamy shows up and they save each others lives, so even though her mission is still to destroy Mount Weather and to fight against Skaikru for her people, she respects Bellamy and tries to spare him. And then she also doesn't want to kill Octavia because the Blakes remind her of her own family.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I see a lot of people in the fandom laughing at Bellamy and Echo's interactions as if Echo has a big crush on Bellamy while he hates her, but I think there's the potential that it's deeper than that. Their storyline is about mutual respect and having things in common with your enemy like loyalty and love of family, and how recognizing those things can help heal the emotional wounds of war.