View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 03:31 AM
ollibear
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaholic (View Post)
It certainly looks that way to me, too, but I feel like we're giving the writers too much credit by trying to read into the characters' motivations in a way that feels authentic.

I think the writers are approaching this story relatively superficially and formulaically (is that a word?). I feel like they are thinking in cheesy, feel-good cliches like this: Daphne and Bay are fated to be sisters! Daphne has discovered her dream of helping people by being a doctor! She is going to be a role model for Deaf people everywhere! Bay loves Daphne, so she will do anything for Daphne to follow her dream! Bay's sacrifice bonds them even closer, so they are best friends for life!

I don't think this message is realistic, nor does it really make sense given the characters' past attachments, feelings, and behavior, but I think we're just supposed to take it at face value.

It's interesting, though, that we are seeing possibilities for a different interpretation based on what the show is presenting to us. I think our analysis is less rosy, but it gives the characters credit for more complexity and for natural human feelings like doubt, fear, indecision. It's fun to think of these characters as real people.
Yes, I agree. It's sad, though.

The writers of Switched at Birth lost much of their audience when they buried Emmett's point of view and started treating fans as if we lack intelligence. Tiana has often said she believes that the writers were lazy. Maybe that is what happened to the show. Maybe the writers were not willing to do the real work of writing the honest scenes for these characters.

As I have watched the last season or two, I cannot believe how superficial and formulaic the story has gotten. A list of plot points with "dressing" is all we see. And it feels as though the story is always racing to the next plot point, with no time given to contemplate the meaning or importance of anything that happens.

What you said here is heartbreaking and true:
Daphne and Bay are fated to be sisters! Daphne has discovered her dream of helping people by being a doctor! She is going to be a role model for Deaf people everywhere! Bay loves Daphne, so she will do anything for Daphne to follow her dream! Bay's sacrifice bonds them even closer, so they are best friends for life!
That might be a satisfying story for a five year old, but not for anyone older.

It's depressing, because I fell in love with these characters in Season 1, and I saw a depth to their story that has completely disappeared over the years.

I miss it as much as Bay missed Emmett.