View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 PM
~AnastasiaGrey~
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaholic (View Post)
It certainly looks that way to me, too, but I feel like we're giving the writers too much credit by trying to read into the characters' motivations in a way that feels authentic.

I think the writers are approaching this story relatively superficially and formulaically (is that a word?). I feel like they are thinking in cheesy, feel-good cliches like this: Daphne and Bay are fated to be sisters! Daphne has discovered her dream of helping people by being a doctor! She is going to be a role model for Deaf people everywhere! Bay loves Daphne, so she will do anything for Daphne to follow her dream! Bay's sacrifice bonds them even closer, so they are best friends for life!

I don't think this message is realistic, nor does it really make sense given the characters' past attachments, feelings, and behavior, but I think we're just supposed to take it at face value.

It's interesting, though, that we are seeing possibilities for a different interpretation based on what the show is presenting to us. I think our analysis is less rosy, but it gives the characters credit for more complexity and for natural human feelings like doubt, fear, indecision. It's fun to think of these characters as real people.
That is so True I agree