View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 PM
L i N d $ @ y
Moderator Manager

New cast auditions for Broadway underway soon! As well as a new London cast (apparently their contracts end in May).

Quote:
‘Harry Potter’ has partly been a success because of the exemplary cast – is recasting going to be a nightmare?
John Tiffany:
‘It’s almost done. Has it been hard? We’ve put a lot of work into it, but at the the same time good actors want to do it because they know it needs good actors, they know their skill will be necessary to make it a success.’

How do you look back on the brouhaha over the casting of a black actor – Noma Dumezweni – in the role of Hermione?
Tiffany:
‘I hope it achieved something positive. People still say to me, “why did she change from a white woman to a black woman?” and I say “she didn’t really change, it’s just that the films chose to cast a white woman not a black woman”. There was stuff being tweeted directly at Noma like “does Hermione have to go offstage between scenes and eat bananas?”, and because she was tagged in we were able to do something about that. But I felt very responsible. Those comments that always start with “I’m not racist, but…”, what they’re basically saying is “I can’t see a black person as the heroine of my story”.’

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.